Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nobby1963
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Infinity 2 query?

Go to solution

My cabinet was fibre enabled begining of August and I was one of the first connected, all seems fine and a massive improvement from 3mbps previously.

I get around 74mbps download but wondered why the connection isnt maxed out with with these stats? The BRAS set at 77.35 and 20. If I run the performance test within the BT hub it always fails and logs a fault in MyBt which closes after a week or so. Towards the end of the standard broadband the line would keep dropping and the noise margin was up at 9db.

Just curious, any thoughts?

IMG_2243.JPG

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity 2 query?

Go to solution
There is nothing wrong with your connection it is as good as you will ever get
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
The service is limited to 80meg, which is what you're getting.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
nobby1963
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I realise its limited to 80 meg but would have thought the download speed would be higher considering the noise margin is at 8db and not 6. Im not saying its at fault but curios.

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @nobby1963 as the max data rate shows the line could in go to 90 on down and and 32 on the up that would  take the line to 6db. if infinity 2 was not capped at 80/20. Being on 6db does not make the line any better it just means there is no room left for improvement. 

My noise margin is 10db or 11db and have always been under the impression that that extra db we have left gives us a slight buffer when the network gets busy or there is a thunderstorm going on outside, Less chance of a drop out as we have a little bit of noise left to take a bounce. Though I'm not 100% on that but I can say I have a rock solid connection.

Maybe someone else can explain it better. 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Zombie wrote:

Hi @nobby1963 as the max data rate shows the line could in go to 90 on down and and 32 on the up that would  take the line to 6db. if infinity 2 was not capped at 80/20. Being on 6db does not make the line any better it just means there is no room left for improvement. 

My noise margin is 10db or 11db and have always been under the impression that that extra db we have left gives us a slight buffer when the network gets busy or there is a thunderstorm going on outside, Less chance of a drop out as we have a little bit of noise left to take a bounce. Though I'm not 100% on that but I can say I have a rock solid connection.

Maybe someone else can explain it better. 

It can be a bit long winded trying to explain SNR in simple terms so that even those not tech minded can understand.

Rather than the tldr; version here's a quick one. Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) is determined between the modem and DSLAM. The stronger the signal the less power the modem needs to overcome any inherent noise.

Hence your SNR being 10dB and the OP's 8dB as your signals are strong enough and you both have a little "wiggle room".