cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djjohnjarvis
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Infinity 2 question about speed

Ok so I have had a lot of problems in the past with internet connection dropping out and random slow speeds for a long time but finally came an engineer around 2 weeks ago who was able to fix the problem which was caused by multiple faults. The connection seems to be ok so far in terms of not dropping but I am confused about what speed I should be getting.

Originally the engineer said after fixing the first fault the download speed had jumped to over 50 and told me that was the speed I could expect but then later after testing again after fixing a second fault said 38 was the max speed I could expect on my line. That was way below the speeds I was originally quoted though. I asked him whether downgrading to Infinity 1 would be a good idea but he couldn't tell me whether this would further impact my speeds or not. Anyway now it seems my internet speed is reaching those higher 50+ figures for a few hours but then ends up settling back down to around 38 again for most of the day.

I ran a test in the evening yesterday and got a solid 54Mbps. This morning it was yet again at 38. This is quite a large variation and surely the speed should be worse during peak times? BT have always maintained that I should be getting speeds above 50 (although I don't recall the exact figure) and before the engineer came to fix the line the speed never went above 38 so now I don't even know what to think.

Here are the line stats:

Product Name: HomeHub5
Serial number: +076284+1534003571
Firmware version: v0.07.06.01239-BT (Type B) Last updated 9/5/2017
Board version: 01
VDSL uptime: 0 days, 21:43:17
Data Rate: 8411 / 60935
Maximum Data Rate: 8411 / 63909
Noise Margin: 6.3 / 4.8
Line Attenuation: 37.9 / 23.9
Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
Data sent/received: 315.6 MB / 5.5 GB

Ip Profile: 56.46Mbps

(BT Wholesale FTTC availability checker)

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 42.5 32.4 8.1 5.7 30
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 35 20 7.5 4.3 16.3

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
PaddyB
Message 2 of 7

Re: Infinity 2 question about speed

Hi @djjohnjarvis,

Your IP Profile of 56.46Mbps is well above the estimate showing for your line in the BT Wholesale availability checker.

The actual throughput speeds you'll achieve can very depending on a number of factors. I don't believe the slow down you are seeing is down to congestion as you said the speeds in the evening have been fine.

How are you testing your speeds is it using a wired or wireless connection?

Can you run the BT speed test - http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ the next time you notice the slowdown? You'll need to run that using a wired connection with nothing else connected to your home network. Once the first test completes, please run the "Further Diagnostic" and post back the results.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Your line is connected at 60meg which is considerably above the estimated speed range of 32-45meg.

The speed BT quoted by BT is connection speeds, not throughput done on a speedtest as there are so many variables that can cause the speed on a speedtest to fluctuate, including but not limited to network congestion, wireless interference, slow traffic from the specific speedtest server.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 7

@Webby wrote:
Your line is connected at 60meg which is considerably above the estimated speed range of 32-45meg.

The speed BT quoted by BT is connection speeds, not throughput done on a speedtest as there are so many variables that can cause the speed on a speedtest to fluctuate, including but not limited to network congestion, wireless interference, slow traffic from the specific speedtest server.

I do hope you are referring to wireless results.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Would that be why I mentioned wireless interference?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 7

Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

😉
0 Ratings