Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PC_Plum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Infinity 2 slow speeds in evening

Hi,

I've been with BT on Infinity 2 for 2 years now and in the past month my speeds have dropped dramatically in the evenings.

I have always achieved around 70Mb/s download speeds and still get this at 'off-peak' times.

In the evenings I now get around 10Mb/s to 20Mb/s.

Is my speed being throttled back in some way?

All the results are on a wired connection.

BT Hub 5.JPG

BT wholesale speedtest.JPG

BT Speed.JPG

Any help appreciated

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Infinity 2 slow speeds in evening

Not throttled as such, in the sense that it's not deliberate. Possibly due to insufficient capacity on the backhaul. You need to raise it as a fault to BT now that you have a speedtest in the "red"
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Are any problems shown for your area  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

Do you know if any of your neighbours are experiencing similar download speed problems?

Was btspeedtester done with a wired or wireless connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PC_Plum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Thanks for the reply Webby.

What's the best way to contact BT with this please?

0 Ratings
PC_Plum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Hi imjolly,

No problems in my area

All tests carried out on a wired connection.

Speeds are not an issue during 'off-peak' only during the evening.

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

If it is congestion then an engineer visit won't fix it as it needs wholesale to increase capacity  it will probably need more customers complaining to get wholesale to take action 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PC_Plum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

I contacted BT and they ran some tests on my line. The chap I spoke to told me I had a fault and gave me a reference number.

Today I see on the BT website that the fault has been resolved.

**Edited**

Hooray!!! I thought, I'll run a speedtest.

Unfortunately nothing has changed.

BTW speedtest.JPG

Could anyone suggest what I do next?

Just to recap, the connection is fine during the day but an issue during 'peak times'

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
PC_Plum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

So, contacted BT today and spoke to an advisor.

She ran a speedtest and the speed was fine. I told her it will be during the day as my issue is in the evenings at peak times.

She said she needed to run the tests again in the evening and someone would call me back in the evening.

She had to do this as the previous fault has been closed as resolved and we would need to start again.

I feel this may be a circle I keep going around with BT based on others comments on these forums.

It's not great paying for Infinity 2 speeds and receiving less than Infinity 1 speeds.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

The tests the advisor runs this evening will come back exactly the same. All they can check is the connection rate. Your issue is with throughput. I suspect you may require moderator assistance with this one....
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
PC_Plum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

OK, so I'm getting VERY FRUSTRATED with this.

My connection is now around 12Mbps in the evenings.

I've had numerous calls to the call centre and 2 visits by Openreach engineers during the day.

This clearly doesnt help as the issues are in the evening.

I even had one of the Openreach Engineers suggest to me that it could be a backhaul problem.

This has been going on for 3 weeks and I am no further forward but also have been left with the feeling that this is never going to be resolved.

I'd like to request some assistance from a moderator please to see if things can improve with getting this resolved.

I know I'm not the only person on here with this type of issue so I'm guessing that this will not be resolved and I'll take my business else where.

0 Ratings