Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1 of 24

Infinity 2 slower than Infinity 1 - advice needed

Go to solution

Hello,

New member seeking advice.  I have had BT Infinity BB now for just over a year and the service has been good.  I live around 300 metres from the street cabinet to which my Fibre BB is connected to.

When I first took out Infinity I opted for Infinity 1 and was informed I should expect to get between 39Mb and 40Mb – I got a rock steady 39.30Mb.  The house where I live has a master socket plus a couple of other sockets, all professionally wired by BT and in excellent condition.  When Infinity 1 was raised to 52Mb I then got a rock steady 49.35Mb, it rarely altered.

Last week I took advantage of a good offer from BT to move me to Infinity 2.  This time I was informed my download speed should be between 56Mb and 74Mb with upload between 16Mb and 20Mb.  However, it’s not working out like that at all.  My speeds have actually dropped to below what I was getting with Infinity 1.  I am now only getting 43.50Mb although this again is rock steady, in fact I’ve never seen any variation since I was switched.  I have also noticed the IP profile has dropped to 45.57Mb as shown on the BT Wholesale speed tester.

I have spoken to BT about this but got little response other than ‘let’s monitor it and see how it goes on’ I have to wait 10 days.  BT has said they will call me again after the weekend.  However, on past performance and what I am currently seeing I would bet good money that the speeds will not have changed at all when BT contact me again.  Just for completeness I have also tested the connection at the master socket (a number of times) and the difference in speed between the master socket and the one in my home office is only around 0.5Mb.  The MS has the Openreach 3 faceplate.

Can anyone advise me as to what I need to be saying to BT when they contact me again if the speed hasn’t increased, as I don’t want fobbing off.  I should have added the upload speed is currently 17.60Mb, latency is 10ms and Jitter 1ms.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Infinity 2 slower than Infinity 1 - advice needed

Go to solution

The only difference between Infinity 1 and 2 is a software cap. If you go from Infinity 1 to Infinity 2 the cap is raised from 52Mbps to 78Mbps. Nothing else changes with your line.

Your IP profile is determined by your speed not the other way round so if your speed has dropped so will your IP profile.

It may be that your line is not capable of delivering any increase on what you were getting on Infinity 1. In order to check can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Thank you for your response.  I have enclosed the requested stats.

What I would add is that the email for Infinity 2 service from BT states the guaranteed minimum has been set at 52Mb for my line.  I was consistenly getting 49.50Mb on the Infinity 1 52Mb max until the upgrade just last week. 

The reason the Hub is not showing it has been running that long is I had to disconnect it to run a speed test from the Master Socket.

Bit of a head scratcher. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-09 at 10.52.05.pngRange Checker.pngHH Stats.png

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution
Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Hi there Webby. I am using a dedicated BB extension, professionally installed. Extension wired from the front two connectors on the MS faceplate then Cat5 cabling into home office. The difference between those two access points only changes the speed results by around 0.5Mb.

I don't need to use a filter on the sockets.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Can you connect the hh to the test socket on the master just to rule out a problem with filter in the master, you'll need a filter to connectr?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

I should have said.  I already did that when I connected to the MS to perform the test and it didn't make a fraction of a difference.  Besides, it can be no coincidence that the speed drop occurred at the very same time as switchover, literally within the hour and the only fluctuation since has been the upload speed which has gradually increased but without any corresponding increase whatsoever to download speeds.  I am also now using a filter in what used to be the phone socket, now just BB, again no change.  I've got that many filters I could sell them.

The speed tests are so static it's almost as though they are 'stuck'.  

The only variable to anything in this setup is BT switching me from Infinty 1 to 2?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution
P.S. Do the stats I have posted reveal anything untoward?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

The switch over probably caused a DLM reset which would have removed G.Inp if it was previously active on your line. Give it a week or so to see if G.Inp kicks back in.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Hi liquorice,

When BT phone me on Monday it will have been 10 days.  If you see the latest screen shot - taken in the last 15 mins from the Master Socket you will see almost no change in these tests to the previous ones posted, or indeed to the speed tests I have been conducting for the last 8 days.  That has been the same since the switch to Infinity 2.  The only thing that fluctuates in relation to speed are some variations to upload. Latest test MS.png

0 Ratings