Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 11 of 24

Re: Infinity 2 slower than Infinity 1 - advice needed

Go to solution

I have done some further extensive testing today with the following results.

I have removed the Mk3 Openreach faceplate in order to access the original test socket.  Doing this, the difference between the test socket and the DSL socket in my study shows a loss of 4Mb.  I have used both the BT wholesale tester plus another six online testers and the results were near identical.

So to sum up, the speed at the test socket is 47.37Mb and the speed in my study is 43.37Mb.  Whilst losing 4Mb is not ideal, it still doesn't explain a much larger loss since moving to Infintiy 2, which even with a conservative estimate would be around a 20Mb loss of expected speed. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

Hello again,

I just thought I would update everyone as to the progress, or not regarding this issue.  I had the misfortune to end up in one of BTs online chat sessions yesterday about the slow Infinity 2 problem.

To cut a very long session short this is what they said they would attempt and I quote - I need to run a stale session fix on your line to refresh the ip profile and clear the congestion on the line.

Well this they did, or at least said they did.  Following a reboot and futher speed tests this action further reduced both the download and upload speeds to around 35mb down and 12mb up speeds.  They then concluded there would have to be an engineer visit (which is scheduled for a couple of days time).  I have made it clear if they want to send an engineer out then I'm okay with that just so long as they understand I'm not going to be the one footing the bill.

BTW - the speeds have not increased any at all following whatever it was they did - now stuck on 35Mb

Watch this space for further updates.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I thought I would provide an update regarding the speed issue I was experiencing following the upgrade to Infinity 2.  The Openreach engineer attended as promised and at the appointed time.

The cabling at our property was given a clean bill of health.  It was noted that I was losing around 5Mb between the test socket at the Master and where I have the Homehub situated.  I had no issue with that as it was something I was already aware of, but I need the Homehub in my home office not at the MS.  Hub speeds 44Mb test socket 49Mb.

The engineer then went to test the connection at the cabinet and found that was banging out the full 76mb, no faulty ports etc.  However, it turns out the records BT holds for our line lenght is incorrect.  Instead of the 420 metres their records show, the actual line lenght following tests turns out to be 615 metres.  The Openreach engineer said this was a problem as when you try to double the speed of a fibre connection the longer the cable lenght the worse it actually gets.  They have now reduced the cap in order to try and get more out of the connection.  I will now have to wait a few days for the line to settle then see if that has had any effect.

Other than that there is nothing further that can be be done about it.  With the line lenght I have got Openreach calculate I shouldn't be getting more than 36Mb so 44Mb is something of a bonus.

Comments on the above would be welcome.  

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

See graph for speed over distance on a perfect line. It would appear that even if you are at the distance the engineer said, you should still be getting nearer your estimated speeds.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Hello gg30340.  I have to add to the 615 metres distance from the cabinet to our property an additional distance from the BT point on the house wall outside to the MS.  The cabling for the MS goes all the way around the outside of our property until it reaches the MS then another short distance to my study.  In all that takes the distance to around 650 metres or just over 0.6K. Looking at your graph I woud say the 44Mb I am getting is just about spot on.

As they have reduced the cap down to 60Mb it is hoped this may boost the speed rather than reduce it, even though that may sound illogical.  When the cap was set at 52Mb with Infinity 1 I had an almost rock steady 49Mb. 

Don't forget, I am losing around 5Mb between the MS and the Homehub. 

Reading the many posts on this forum and others regarding fibre speed, I think a lot of people don't understand that trying to go even faster over a longer distance is actually counter-productive. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

@Jim-lad wrote:

As they have reduced the cap down to 60Mb it is hoped this may boost the speed rather than reduce it, even though that may sound illogical.  When the cap was set at 52 with Infinity 1 I had an almost rock steady 49Mb. 

Don't understand what you mean by that. The infinity 1 cap is 55M and Infinity 2 is 80M.  Changing the cap to any value does absolutely nothing to the speed except change the max value obtainable. If you are below the cap, the cap is irrelevant.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Hi Licqurice,

They have reduced the upload as well as the download and reset the DLM too.  It is hoped that by doing this the speed will stablise a bit higher than it is at present i.e. back to where it was when on Infintiy 1.  The noise margin has also improved, now showing 6.2, was 7.3. 

At the end of the day it is what it is.  No amount of Openreach sitting at the street cab is going to improve my line lenght.  It does appear from the graphs I have seen plus the one provided by the previous poster that at just over a 0.6K distance 44Mb to maybe 48Mb is just about what I should expect.  

If you are saying this is not correct then can you clarify for me?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

Nobody has done anything except reset DLM, that is all that can happen. They can't reduce or increase any any speeds, only remove artificial software caps. As you say, it is the line length that determines your speed.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

I think the engineer has tried to flannel you with witchcraft rather than facts. Your line speed is determined by its length and condition of the line. What the engineer said about reducing the cap to try and get more out of the connection is absolute rubbish.   

Your line can only deliver its maximum data rate and if that maximum is below the "cap" the "cap" can not possibly affect it. All a "cap" could do would be to stop it exceeding the "cap" not increase its speed.

How did the engineer explain away the fact you were getting 49.5Mbps previously. 

You should downgrade to Infinity 1. There is no point in paying for Infinity 2 as you are not even getting the maximum for Infinity 1.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

You should downgrade to Infinity 1. There is no point in paying for Infinity 2 as you are not even getting the maximum for Infinity 1.

I have actually got Infinity 2 unlimited cheaper than the Infinity 1 unlimited deal - my bill has gone down. Smiley Happy

When the OR engineer connected directly to the grey box on our outside wall the speed coming in was 51Mb, he showed me the meter. However, by the time it gets to the MS which is another 24 metres of cable going round the outside of the property it drops to 49Mb.  That's with the wires completley disconnected from the MS using the engineers meter.  A second cable is connected to the two front pins on an OR Mk3 faceplate.  From there this second cable takes it a further 5 metres to an extension socket which then connectes to the Homehub (no filters required).  I have another extension socket daisy chained to this socket though it's not currently in use.  This then provides a reading of approx 44Mb.

Hope I have explained this clearly.  I'm not overly concerned now I know what the issue is and there is no fix - simply line lenght.  44mb is certainly plenty fast enough for our needs. 

BTW the extenstion sockets are proper wall sockets with proper cabling, not extension cables.

0 Ratings