Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 24

Re: Infinity 2 slower than Infinity 1 - advice needed

Go to solution

As long as you are happy with everything that's all that matters. If you feel that your "problem" is solved can you mark the thread as such.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 22 of 24

Go to solution

This issue is solved, in that it can't actually be solved due to line lenght.  However, I have just had a call from BT Customer Support (Indian call centre) stating they now want to send another OR engineer to our property to look at replacing the cable from the grey junction box fixed to the wall of our property to the Master Socket.

I can't see any point to this and told them so.  From the grey junction box there's 16 metres of CW1308 cable tacked very neatly just above the damp course (sits in the mortar run between the bricks) running around the outside of the property until it enters the house where the MS is situated. This was installed when the house was new by BT.

Granted it is now around 15 years old.  However, it is in good conditon and my understanding is that CW1308 cable is quite capable of transmitting an Infinity 2 signal and over a significantly longer distance than 16 metres without suffering degradation. 

Any comments on this would be welcome. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 24

Go to solution

Totally agree, if the cable is in good condition they will only be replacing like for like.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 24 of 24

Go to solution

Hi there licquorice,

Although one can't really rely on a visual inspection, visually the cable looks in good condtiion and the mortar joint offers reasonable protection, the outer sheaf is bleached in places where the sun hits it but nothing else.  

When the OR engineer ran a test on the line he found no faults whatsoever and commented the figures were in fact very good. I had been considering changing the MS for no other reason than the plastic has gone a yellow colour due to the passage of time and with the Mk3 faceplate fitted it looks a bit odd. 

I think I will inform BT CS I won't be taking them up on their offer.  TBH I think they may well struggle to make it as neat as the original as the cable is behind a number of shrubs which weren't there when the cable was first installed so would entail a right faff on their part. 

0 Ratings