Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sukstr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Infinity 2 slower than Infinity

Go to solution

When I first signed up for BT Infinity I was very please to be getting around 38Mbs - not too much of a suprise when the cabinet is just across the street.

However, I feel a bit hard done by having upgraded to Infinity 2. I regularly run speedtests and haven't seen anything better than about 33Mbs. Okay, my upload speed has improved giving me around 16Mbs but in reality bumping this up from about 8.5Mbs doesn't make a huge difference - other than when I'm backing-up files to a cloud server.

Couple of questions:

Do BT do any sort of throttling based on usage patterns? And they think this is all I need?

A little while back BT Openworld were doing some work on the cabinet and managed to cut of my voice for several days - is it possible they also did something that reverted my line (for download) back to "standard" Infinity? Seems unlikely I know, but I feel a bit miffed to have commited myself to the longer contract with no real benefit.

Any suggestions/views would be appreciated.

DB

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity 2 slower than Infinity

Go to solution
Hi could you run a B.T speedtest (ADSL/FTTC) tester and post results please. http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

What were you estimates for Infinity 2?

I doubt they would have done anything or reverted your line back to Infinity, it's just a software cap that gets lifted upon upgrading to Infinity 2.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
sukstr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the pointer, the world seems full of speedtesters.

Here are the results...

Download speed achieved during the test was - 31.85 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

Upload speed  achieved during the test was - 7.97Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Ok, I'm not connected to the router via Ethernet but am using develo dLan 200 AVsmart+ home-plugs and am getting a steady 140+ Mbps from PC to router, so that not's the bottleneck.

Any more clues?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Ratings
sukstr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

OK, time to eat humble pie.

I just run the test from my son's PC which is connected to the router via Ethernet and he got 75Mbps.

So I have now sent an email to Devolo support. If the dLAN Cockpit application says I'm getting 141Mbps between the 2 "home plugs" I'm not sure where I'm loosing out.

But at least I've ruled out BT issues.

0 Ratings
RobW1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I'm by no means an expert on powerline home plugs but I can tell you from my own experience I have found that I tend to only get around 15 to 20% of the stated max speed of the home plug. For example using a 85Mbps version I could only get around 15Mbps max. Using a 200Mbps version I could get around 35-40Mbps. It has taken me to get the 500Mbps versions from Solwise to get my full 76Mbps Infinity 2 speed through them.

Now whether this is normal for home plugs I'm not sure but I have seen similar figures quoted from other folks while searching the web. I guess it may all depend on quality of your wiring, making sure home plugs are directly in socket, etc, but if yours is similar to mine then you might need the 500Mbps versions to see your new top speed 🙂

Oh and I should add each time the Solwise app was indicating a much higher connection than the actual true throughput I was getting so not sure how much they can be relied on to indicate what speed you'll get through it.

Hope this helps.

Rob

0 Ratings
sukstr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks Rob.
0 Ratings