cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Infinity 2 - why has it become so slow?

Can see lots of people with the same problem, extremely slow connection compared to what I had only a few weeks ago and much slower than I'm paying for!  Tonight we can only manage a 2Mbps download as opposed to 36Mbps+ previously, in addition the connection will hang for minutes at a time.

Been in touch with BT who were adamant that nothing was wrong, but after an hour on the phone stated I had a hub problem, I have a home hub 5.  Replaced the box and we still have slow connection speeds although to be fair we are not having to reboot the router 4 or 5 times a day.

So my questions are:

1. What is the fundemental problem in the BT network?
  2. When do they expect to fix it?
  3. How long will it take to restore our service to normal?

Given I've only a few weeks left on my contract I guess time is against them!  Come on BT help me out please!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity 2 - why has it become so slow?

Latest update: Just managed to achieve 2Mbps download speed!  No iplayer prog's tonight!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

As you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Why is it slow?

Because its sh*t and no one at bt gives a sh*t.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

It wouldn't be so bad - would it - if we had a problem with speed then looked for help and took the necessary measures to resolve it and, having learnt something, we then went on to enjoy ( say for the sake of argument ) a year or so trouble-free broadband reflecting the service we signed up for and pay dearly for? But no - things do not get sorted out for very long like that and either the same or a very similar problem arises again. Then the whole tiresome rigmarole of arguments and phone calls and infuriating call centres kicks off again.
I've posted about this elsewhere and like so many others I've had my say and feel like giving up on expecting anything special anymore from the blatant scam that is Infinity 1/2. Weary of it all and probably will settle for a paltry 3 - 5 mb download even though I pay for up to 63 mb ( oh those magnificent words some highly-rewarded Executive dreamed up no doubt - of up to ). The network is over-subscribed and the technology behind FTTC is essentially flawed - ruining the benefits of fibre optic speed with that crucial final weak link in the chain - the copper wire that completes the circuit. If we all had FTTH would things though be guaranteed to be perfect? I don't know - but the point is irrelevant I suppose because it just ain't cost-effective for any operator to provide this.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I've got the same problem.  Why does it take 18 seconds to load the BT site homepage?

Roger

0 Ratings