cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vaskemaskine
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

[Infinity 78Mb | HH5] Lower than expected line sync rate and much lower than expected actual speeds

I recently moved to a new build flat, and had BT Infinity installed on 9th November. The welcome email suggested I should be seeing line speeds in the region of 74-80Mb down and 19-20Mb up, with a minimum guaranteed down link of 65Mb.

I left the line to settle as suggested, but looking at the Hub's stats, I'm still only seeing sync rates of around 17000/55000.

In itself, this isn't particularly good, but my real-world speeds are for the most part, abysmal. Here are a couple of speed test results from just now.

These results were obtained over a Gigabit ethernet connection with no other wired or wireless devices connected to the HH5.

The HH itself is connected to the master socket in my property, all connections/cables/equipment as supplied.

I have attempted a couple of reboots of the HH without any (positive) variance in sync rate or actual speeds.

It's worth noting that the speed tests I posted here are on the lower end of what I've been seeing since I had the line installed, but at no point in time have I had a connection that is anything close to the advertised speeds.

I have contacted customer support a couple of weeks ago, but was told that I should wait up to 14 days after installation for the line to settle, and to raise the issue again if I didn't see any improvement.

Having come from a flawless Virgin Media 152Mb FTTC/Docsis connection (that was far cheaper too!), this is incredibly frustrating.

I thought I'd post here first this time, as I know there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who might be able to help get me get this sorted out. 🙂

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: [Infinity 78Mb | HH5] Lower than expected line sync rate and much lower than expected actual spe

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a Home Hub 5, please display the full connection statistics including noise margins, by following the instructions on this page.

Check your connection speed for the Home Hub 5

Could you please post the results from the BT Speedtester, including the further diagnostics.

BT Wholesale Speedtester

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

Re: [Infinity 78Mb | HH5] Lower than expected line sync rate and much lower than expected actual spe

have you tried connecting to the test socket instead of master especially if you have extension sockets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
vaskemaskine
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the quick response. I have provided all the requested details below:

BT Broadband Availability Checker:

Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 14.28.00.png

BT HomeHub Stats:

Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 13.46.13.png

BT Wholesale Speedtest results:

Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 14.37.22.png

Surprisingly, the above speedtest does seem to saturate the actual line sync rate. That said, the sync rate is still a lot lower than what I was lead to believe I would achieve.

0 Ratings
vaskemaskine
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

I have just swapped the connection over to the test socket and these are my results:

Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 14.51.24.png

An improvement, but still not stellar and I'm not sure having the HH plugged into the test socket is a long term solution.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

it does suggest there is a problem with master socket and/or your extension wiring

as in test socket are all your other sockets 'dead' phone will not work?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Check that your internal wiring is correct.

infinity_wiring2.jpg

0 Ratings
vaskemaskine
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Only the master socket is wired for broadband in my property, as I cannot achieve any broadband connection whatsoever from any of the phone extension sockets (phone signal is fine however). This itself does make sense, as the master socket is located in the telcoms closet behind the front door, which is where a load of other networking gear is stored.

I am not exactly sure I understand what you meant by "as in test socket are all your other sockets 'dead' phone will not work?".

Could you clarify?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

if you connect to test socket then if extensions wired correctly none of them should work  however if an extension does work then you have a star wiring problem and would account for lower internet conenction

vaskemaskine
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

OK so to clarify, you're saying that if I connect the HH5 directly to the test socket, then attempt to connect a phone to one of the extension sockets, the phone should not work?

If so, I have just tested this scenario and can confirm that the phone does not work when connected to any of the extension sockets.

0 Ratings