cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: [Infinity 78Mb | HH5] Lower than expected line sync rate and much lower than expected actual spe

if phones do not work in any extension socket when using the test socket then that is as it should be

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
vaskemaskine
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

Re: [Infinity 78Mb | HH5] Lower than expected line sync rate and much lower than expected actual spe

That does indeed seem to be the case.

What would be my next port of call to try to improve my sync rate to something closer to what was promised?

Should I be contacting customer service again at this point?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

As your maximum potential speed is 74Mbs, you just need to leave everything alone for a few weeks, so that DLM can make any adjustments to the speed.

BT would not be interested at this point as they quoted a minimum guaranteed down link of 65Mb.

SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 20

As you can see from hub stats, when connected to the test socket, your max data rate increased to the low end of your Range A estimate, which is within your estimate (BT sell products based on the Clean Range A estimates, with a minimum guaranteed speed just a little bit below that). If you contact customer services and end up getting an engineer visit, it is likely that you will be charged, as the fault is with your internal wiring.

You'll need to let the DLM catch up and see if it improves the speed somewhat, though I'm not sure you'll get any further improvement since noise margin is at norm of 6db.

There is no negative repercussions from staying connected to the test socket. In fact, if you are connected to test socket, then you won't be charged for any faults that arise on your line, as being in test socket eliminates all internal wiring as being a cause. Downside is that your extensions will not work while being in test socket.

vaskemaskine
Beginner
Message 15 of 20

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I have left the HH connected directly to the test socket (not ideal as the covering plate is now partially hanging off the socket, but whatever).

Just got back from work today and noticed that my connection seemed slow again, so ran the BT Wholesale test and got the following results:

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 18.44.43.png

I then ran further diagnostics, changing the HH username to speedtest@speedtest_domain as instructed, which yielded the following results:

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 18.51.40.png

Clearly, something is not right here, and by connecting directly to the test socket I presume this means the fault lies somewhere in BT's domain.

So, would it be appropriate to raise this as a line fault with BT at this point?

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 20

This is likely a congestion issue, which can only be resolved by BT Wholesale. You can try reporting this as a fault, but the best way to get it solved is to ask your neighbours (if they have BT Infinity or a similar package from another ISP) to run the BT Wholesale speed tester as well.

They would need to run three tests over the course of the day: one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. A Tap3 test can be done after the third test if they are capable of changing the username and password on the router they use to perform the test. You can then ask them to either post a new thread on the forums here, or to post their results in this thread: the more people that have this issue, the better, as it will get the issue highlighted to BT Wholesale quicker.

Bear in mind that any congestion issues can take some time to resolve, depending on the work that needs to be done to resolve the problem. In one case I read recently, it took 5 months to solve an area-wide congestion problem, so if you can get people around your area to do the tester, it may get the problem found quicker and resolved quicker 😉

0 Ratings
vaskemaskine
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

I appreciate your response on this, but...seriously?!

As a consumer, I have signed up to a service and have a reasonable expectation of receiving (at least an approximation) of that service, which I am paying a non-negligible amount of money for.

Am I really expected to go knocking on all my neighbour's doors asking them to perform timed daily tests on their broadband and collate those results before BT will look into resolving the issue?

I've already wasted several hours trying to diagnose the problem myself - and I'm a reasonably technical person.

Sorry for the rant, but it's hugely frustrating to be paying nigh on £50 pcm for this:

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 19.06.43.png

And then be advised that I should either put up with it or go waste countless more time researching myself if any of my neighbours also have the issue.

I'm happy to pay for a **bleep** BT engineer to come out and fix it if that's what it takes, I just want a usable broadband connection that doesn't make me think I've been teleported back to 2003!

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 20

I understand you are frustrated, but nobody here can solve a congestion problem, as we are all customers just like you. We're only able to advise you on the best course of action that has worked to solve the same problem that many others have encountered over the years.

The speeds quoted when you ordered the broadband package are connection speeds and not the throughput you actually get. Congestion issues are not considered faults, because the equipment works as is intended, but there isn't enough capacity in the backhaul to manage the traffic. The problematic section of the network may not even be at your exchange, but at some other point in the connection between your exchange and another exchange.

Also, Openreach cannot do anything as they manage only the cabling of certain points of the network: congestion issues are always in the hands of BT Wholesale who, like Openreach, do not talk to the public and only to the ISPs. Getting an engineer visit will achieve nothing, as the engineer cannot solve a hot VP or congestion issue.

You need to keep performing BT Wholesale speed tests, and you need to get more people to do them. The more people who perform BT Wholesale speed tests (particularly the Further Diagnostics), the more likely that the issue will be noticed and fixed.

Doing nothing will just cause the problem to be ignored and Wholesale will just end up making it a low priority. Making a bigger noise on this forum is more likely to get something done, as the issue can be highlighted to the mods, who can then alert Wholesale to the issue.

See this thread where a large number of members got involved and managed to solve a congestion issue which was causing a hot VP over a very large area and on numerous exchanges: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Lanark-Carnwarth-Carstairs-areas/td-p/14615...

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 20

BT estimated a connection speed of 74 - 80 with a guaranteed minimum of 65.

You were initially only getting a connection speed of 55 and after eliminating your extension wiring that increased, but only to 62.

So you can report to BT that even using the test socket you are connecting at below the guaranteed connection speed. However before doing that it's worth trying a quiet line test 17070 from the test socket to see if there is any obvious noise on the line.

The slow throughput at times could be a completely separate congestion problem as already described. I would try and get a stable connection at the promised speed first and then assess throughput performance after that.
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 20

Note that it could just be that the condition and length of your line to the cabinet means the original estimates and guarantee are unrealistic. It's up to BT to arrange for an Openreach engineer to check things if they deem that worth doing.

If the figures were unrealistic and there is no easy fix then I would hope that BT should at least allow you to downgrade to a cheaper Infinity 1 package without extra fees should you so wish.