cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZZDave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Infinity FTTC from Hove Exchange goes haywire every July!

Go to solution

For the third or fourth year running, in mid-July my Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 1 connection has suddenly become unstable with multiple disconnecitons and reconnections of the modem hundreds of times a day. Exactly the same thing happened at this time last year, and in the year before!

What on earth is someone doing - always in July - at the Hove exchange maybe - that could cause this?

Maintenance of some kind? Routine replacement of circuit boards but not putting the historical settings back. Software upgrades? Seagulls nesting in the wiring? It must be some human-initiated action.

For the previous 3 months, I've had a solid 52Mbps down / 9999Mbps up connection reaching 30 days uptime.

I reported the fault, and it has been acknowledged as not inside my premises and is out to "the engineers" for tracing and repairing. The diagram says the fault is in "BT Retail Servers" which seem to be the first link in the chain from BT to me.

The chat line agent chose not to respond to my question : What work is being done every July at my Hove exchange?" Do you know?

David

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
DavidM
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity FTTC from Hove Exchange goes haywire every July!

Go to solution

Hi @ZZDave and thanks for posting.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I don't have any details on the Hove exchange but if you're still having connection problems I'll be happy to help. If that suits drop me over an email with your details. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
ZZDave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hello David

Well there have been developments since then, triggered by me getting back on the BT Chatline because nothing seemed to be happening about the fault report which after several days had apparently not changed status from saying 'BT Retail'.

The Chatline Agent had me do the BT Wholesale Speedtest again "to give them the results", and told me that the engineers had already reported finding no problem with their end of it, and so I needed an engineer visit to check my installation. She gave the the standard warnings about charges.

The engineer came and did a speed and quality test from the socket and found good speed but a huge amount of errors. He changed the old adapted NTE5 for a new OpenReach Master Socket 5C and that gave better results but still lots of errors.

We moved downstairs to the outside understep cupboard where the 4-pair comes into the outer boundary of the property and terminates in a sealed grey BT-embossed box on the wall. Cover came off and crimps examined. He said they look a bit corroded so cut the wires and tested on the incoming pair - all fine and good. He suspected the corroded crimps were affecting sync stabilty from inside house, so replaced crimps and remade the joints to house wiring and closed up box.

Returned upstairs to do another test from socket - and all OK and wonderful! Re-connected modem and resynced. Speedtest on Laptop now SOLID 55/10 Mbps! So it was the corroded crimps all the time, and must have been this on each annual occasion. I'm thinking of packing the grey box with silica gel bags!

Thanks for your time!

Dave

0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

SOLVED

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @ZZDave Thanks for coming back with the update and glad to hear you have got the fault fixed now.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings