cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Infinity HH3 and external facing IP address

Am I right in thinking that Infinity IP addresses, as assigned to the HH3 itself, by the ISP, are dynamic?

I've seen some suggestion that as long as the HH is not power-cycled, the address it has been given will stay that way.

Is that true, and if not, how long does the HH3 own an assigned IP address for?

Reason for looking into this is for setting up access to resources on my LAN from the outside world, so it would be useful to understand how long that IP address is assigned for

Cheers in advance

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
puratech
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity HH3 and external facing IP address

In my experience its unreliable. I tried a similar thing and at worst my ip changed 3 times in 6 hours of an evening, but normally once or twice a day it would seem. 

You can get a basic dynamic dns package fairly cheaply from a 3rd party, which will point a web address at your pc and update if the ip changes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Numb3r6 what you have been told is accurate as far as it goes. The IP address is assigned by the BT Retail's server when the Home Hub negotiates a PPPOE session. That will remain  until either the session stops due to line instability or is renewed from the server end. In practice I have had the same IP address for up to 6 weeks but they do change eventually and I don't think it is predictable.

The best way to link to a dynamic IP address is to use a dynamic DNS service many of which are free for basic services. 

0 Ratings
Flashpaul
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Dynamic dns is a bit flaky on my router As a secondary measure I recommend installing Dropbox on an always on pc Then from the Dropbox website you can check your current public IP address
0 Ratings
Numb3r6
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for helpful replies - I was becoming more hopeful I could make do with the leased address as it was looking acceptably stable for my needs once I'd deactivated power save.

However I'm now chasing another issue as my Inifinity speed seems to have some...issues just now, and I've been getting increasingly frustrated at performance of less than 50% that I'm paying for.

0 Ratings
infinitydemu
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

On my HH3 I can pick 3 Dynamic DNS providers. NOIP appears to be the only one that does free accounts (up to three hosts for free). So I will try that one out.

0 Ratings