cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjd
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Infinity. HH5, Master Socket, Extension socket - all install issues please help if can

Go to solution

Hello

Thanks to all of the excellent information on here. I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to my question so thought I would ask the gurus on this forum 🙂

I have ordered Infinity 2 with calls yesterday.  Previously had ADSL with TalkTalk Business and calls with Sky.  Its not a cost saving issue to change as BT are more expensive but I need a better service and faster one too.

My house is four years old. Three floors with the master socket in the hallway by the front door.  My office however is on the middle floor!  Sadly I cannot use wireless connections for the office as I have a PC, ReadyNAS Duo, Sonos Bridge and Avaya IP deskphone all need connecting to the router.  I also run three laptops wirelessly, plus Sky HD, iPads etc etc normal house!

The house has six extension sockets all wired by Taylor Wimpey when built.  Two downstairs (lounge and family room,) three middle floor (office, two bedrooms) and one on top floor.  The two downstairs are used with the Sky HD boxes.  The office one has a fax and phone (in case DECT phones die) the master socket downstairs has DECT phone, one of the bedrooms on middle floor has alarm connected and top floor has nothing connected.

I have read a few things...

1) that the master socket wont get moved unless I pay - happy to pay if need be.

2) that you can run these new routers HH5, SkyHub etc off an extension you just loose about 10 percent speed?

3) if they changed the office extension to a MAster I would loose the phone option there unless they "back wire"?

I do not know what to believe or not.  I certainly do not want a data extension run as it would have to go up the stairs as their are steels between each floor ceiling.

So I suppose my question is.  

Can you actually run the HH5 off a extension, I know its not ideal but can it be done.  Also if I pay will they move the Master socket and ensure ALL extensions still work?

Thanks in advance

CJD

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Infinity. HH5, Master Socket, Extension socket - all install issues please help if can

Go to solution

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you mentioned that you were on a business package with your last ISP, I assume that you are running a business.

If you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

BT do not allow commercial use of their Residential service.

Thanks

0 Ratings
cjd
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Re: Infinity. HH5, Master Socket, Extension socket - all install issues please help if can

Go to solution

Hi

No its not a business.  It was TalkTalk who decided when they took over Freedom2Surf (my ISP) that all their customers would be a TalkTalkBusiness customer.  One of the reasons I moved away from them as F2S plaform offered max 200MB email accounts!

I am residential customer not a business one.  Although I do work from home a few days a week hence the IP Phone but a lot of people do that I guess too?

0 Ratings
cjd
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Can anyone help please?

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
You can run it off an extension, this is the case for Infinity 1 where a lower speed is acceptable. However for the best speed on Infinity 2 it should be installed at the master socket. The engineer can convert an existing extension socket to be the master or run a data extension cable from the master to where you want the modem.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
skidzboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
If you have, by the way I am reading you post. Your main nt5 socket coming into the house is in the hall,you have extensions for all other phones coming from this.
If you take the face plate off the main box in the hall you will find two connectors marked A B you can run from this point to your office this will give you your router in the office on dsl (infinity).
Also depends on cable used for your extensions IE good quality cable or just bog standard cable can give more info if needed as I have ran from the main box into a cupboard from there I run router to hub then all round the house on cat 5e so all rooms have network points.
Also depends if you use phones which plug into the sockets or to a base station many ways you can achieve what you want.

Is there is any way you could run a fresh cable from the hall to your office in the wall for neatness?
skidzboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Phone NT5.jpegSorry was in a rush there,
NT5 Box in hallway remove front cover lower portion.
You will see all extension start from this point and daisy chain around the house.
Only two wires required for phone line,and two for your dsl(infinity).
You can pick any two spare wires from the extension side connect to pins A B - in your office (install a new back box easy to do ) buy a cat 5 face plate connect the two wires to pins two and five on cat five socket.job done. Plug modem/ router into socket should now have connection all phones will still operate as before as the filter is in the main box in hall just remember to pick up same coloured wires that you used down stairs ie blue/ blue white or whatever couplers are spare. Get back I touch if you need more help on this only willing to help.
Good luck really easy to do

cjd
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks. It's infinity 2 but max speed will be 44mb if I'm lucky. Data cable would have to go round front door recess up stairs through bathroom to office so not an option.

Cheers.
0 Ratings
cjd
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
That's very helpful. Thanks so much. Awesome response. Would Openreach do this or not?

Cheers
0 Ratings
skidzboy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Yes but at a price not trying to be cheeky, are you any good at DIY
Because this is very simple to do, or do you know anyone who is a good at diy time to do this would be under an hour as all the. Cables are in place and just need to be hooked up very very easy believe me just have a look if you need talked through this only to willing to help.
If cable is good quality you will not lose any speed in this setup
0 Ratings