cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cardigan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Infinity - How does it get to my house

At the monet we're with Virgin, they ran an optical cable from the road up my driveway, into my garage and into my house. 

I understand that somewhere near me is a 'Cabinet' and I understand that there is optical cable going into the cabinet; how does it get from the cabinet into my house?   Does it for example go from the Cabinet down a copper wire to the BT Telephone Exchange, down another wire to the telegraph pole outside my house then over to my roof along that line that's been there for 50 years and from there to the telephone socket in the house - if so how dows it get 76mb down that wire?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Infinity - How does it get to my house

From the cabinet to your house it goes along the copper telephone wires. the only fibre part is from the exchange to the cabinet. That is why the speeds you will get are listed "upto" because the copper wires and distance to the cabinet can differ between customer to customer.

Use this checker to get an estimate of what you might get. You will need to us the address or post code checker if you don't have a BT phone.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 10

Virgin didn't run an optical cab le all the way to your house. They ran a copper co-axial cable from their cabinet.

For Infinity the copper connection from the present PCP will be used.

At the PCP your telephone signal will be routed as normal via copper to the exchange and your Infinity signal will be routed to the new green cabinet (DSLAM) and continue via a fibre connection from there.

If you click the link in my sig you may find it interesting.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 10

Yeah, it comes down the telephone wire.

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Cardigan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Hi,

I tried the below link with my postcode:

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

The results are:

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available

Does that mean that the max I am likely to get is 17mb?  What happened to the 76mb

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

It is showing that you can not get Infinity. If you could you would see reading for FTTC Range A or Range B.

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 10

The postcode checker is no good. Use the phone number checker or the full address checker
--
0 Ratings
Cardigan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

OK, well they tell me that I can get Infinity so presuming I can will I get 70+mb

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 10

If that's what the estimate says
--
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Do not presume anything. There will be a range of speeds depending on the quality of your line and distance to the cabinet. A poor line could be at the lower end of the estimate and a good line would be at the top end and unfortunately there is no way of telling what range you are on until it is installed.

0 Ratings