cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warbler
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Infinity Hub causing physical headaches? - UPDATE

Thank you for your suggestions, comments and humour.

I am no IT expert and therefore my approach and understanding are in question, but I believe that I have discovered the following;

a)  The BT hub is partitioned and although the local wireless function can be turned off a global in built wireless cannot.  Even using the advanced settings the global wireless remains live, perhaps to support the coverage of Open Zone.  So even if I turn off the wireless functionality to my remote laptop wave emissions would possibly continue to upset me.

b)  To overcome a) I have installed a Zyxel NBG4604 Wireless Managed Router.  I chose this as it conforms to the European wave emissions standard, which is at a lower level to that accepted in the UK.  The additional benefits are that the wireless strength can be reduced and also programmed to switch on or off for certain periods of the day.  As it happens the laptop connection to an upstairs room has been achieved using only 10% of the available wireless power.

2 REPLIES 2
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Infinity Hub causing physical headaches? - UPDATE

Following on from your previous thread, I'm interested to know if this helps you?

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Infinity Hub causing physical headaches? - UPDATE

@Warbler wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions, comments and humour.

I am no IT expert and therefore my approach and understanding are in question, but I believe that I have discovered the following;

a)  The BT hub is partitioned and although the local wireless function can be turned off a global in built wireless cannot.  Even using the advanced settings the global wireless remains live, perhaps to support the coverage of Open Zone.  So even if I turn off the wireless functionality to my remote laptop wave emissions would possibly continue to upset me.

b)  To overcome a) I have installed a Zyxel NBG4604 Wireless Managed Router.  I chose this as it conforms to the European wave emissions standard, which is at a lower level to that accepted in the UK.  The additional benefits are that the wireless strength can be reduced and also programmed to switch on or off for certain periods of the day.  As it happens the laptop connection to an upstairs room has been achieved using only 10% of the available wireless power.

Just for interest the HH3 allows the wireless to be programmed.-

BT Power Save is an option on the BT Home Hub 2.0 and BT Home Hub 3 which lets you choose a time period every day when the wireless signal is switched off to save power. Computers and other devices using wireless to access the internet on your ...

How to do that HERE.

Regarding the "Global Signal"

You can opt out of  BT Fon/Openzone http://bthomehub.home/html/home/home.html when you de activate it might take a day or two before the signal disappears... it certainly does when you activate it... ie it's not an instantaneous turn off.

(Fon/Openzone emits two extra signals ).

To Opt out you log in using THIS FORM then it will show another bit for you to fill in to opt out, see picture below.

You may be interested in Inssider a free windows wireless scanner.... It will allow you to check you've turned off your wireless signal when it reaches the programmed time and you can even see the signal strength reduce as you alter your settings on your new router. Plus you can see if there are any strong neighbours signals nearby that may give you problems.... ie during the day when the neighbours away and their router is off then in the evening they turn on their router and you feel a bit unwell you can look to see if a signal has appeared around the same time.

Inssider... the lower the number the stronger the wireless signal is.... My signal strength is around 40 to 50. Picture below.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Youtube video of inssider in use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2kZCfYTxI

Inssider pic 1.jpgFon Result.jpg

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings