cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larnealive
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Infinity - Initially great. Now speed has gone!.

Go to solution

I switched to Infinity towards the end of 2010 as I was fed up with the erratic service from BT BB. Infinity speeds were great for months. Average download 35-36Mb/s. Upload not so hot at 5-6Mb/s but that was ok.  

For the past few weeks download speed has dropped right down to 9-10Mb/s irrespective of the time of day. This is not what I am paying for. I was assured by the engineer that the speed would NEVER drop. So what has happened? My set-up remains the same. I have re-set the hub but still no improvement.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
iPHAILZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity - Initially great. Now speed has gone!.

Go to solution

If that's the speed your getting with a wired connection mate there's something wrong. Save yourself a load of frustration by not phoning BT india and email one of the mods here explaining the issue. Try and add as much info as you can and it *should* get fixed for you.

---------------------------
Best BT india advice i have seen yet on these forums:
Q: Someone has hacked my wireless network
A: Try plugging router into your test socket.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
iggy23
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

had exactly the same problem. 3 OR engineers tested line/exchange, said it's perfect, no problems. So BT's answer was "erm.. dunno. As long as it's over 15meg then live with it". 

I thought it was just me, but it looks like lots of others are having the same problem. How much testing did BT actually do with this product before expecting us to pay through the nose for it?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

The first step to working out what is wrong is to run the BT Speedtest (http://speedtester.bt.com/) from a wired PC with nothing else running on the network. That will show your current throughput and IP profile. It is possible that your lines profile needs resetting alternatively it may be an issue on your home network this test will show where the problem lies.

0 Ratings
larnealive
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you - yes I agree. It was working absolutely fine until a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how to email the mods - will search through the forums to see if there is a link.

0 Ratings
larnealive
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Just ran Speedtester.bt.com

Configured throughput speed 36589Kbps

Download speed achieved during the test 3940Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test 4820Kbps.

What is going on?????

0 Ratings
larnealive
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I don't know how to contact a Moderator. Are they employed by BT to sort out problems?  Thanks

0 Ratings
larnealive
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Ok - now I feel stupid.

I am working from an Apple Mac. Somehow the Airport wireless connection was turned on (I'll blame the kids) so the previous results are wireless connections.

Wired speeds are as follows

34.79Mbps download.  5.56Mbps upload.

Sorry folks. Appreciate people taking the time to reply.

0 Ratings