Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Infinity Installed Yesterday

Hi,

I've finally had my Infinity connected yesterday and i'm currently trying to find the right solution to connect everything up.

My master phone socket was in my front room so the engineers fitted the kit there (i wasnt able to be there and not sure how forcefully the other half asked them about the positioning on router + modem).

The only issue is that my PC is upstairs so since I have a preference to use a wired connection i'm currently using a borrowed set of Comtrend powerline adapters (i believe they are rated at 200mbps).

What other options could i use (apart from wireless) to connect the pc upstairs to the HH3

thanks,

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Robinson71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Infinity Installed Yesterday

Is a Powerline Adapter faster than an bog standard Ethernet cable from router to PC?  I would find that hard to believe.

0 Ratings
Danf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

im certain it isnt, im using the powerline as i dont have a cable long enough yet.  I would much rather use an ethernet cable, just need to find an acceptable route upstairs.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 4 of 11

Powerline adaptors are much slower than they claim.  A 200Mbps should be okish but won't usually get the best out of Infinity.

Try to avoid the natural thing of pluggin a Powerline into a twin socket with computer equipment in the other half.  That can slow them down a lot.  Avoid pluggin them into extensions if possible, especially power surge extensions.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

By far the best solution is to use an ethernet cable. You can get a 30 meter cable for under £15, just search the internet. You can run an ethernet cable up to about 100 meters without problem so you should be able to run it upstairs ok. You can get flat cable if you need to run it under carpets, again do an internet search. Another option would have been to have had your BT master socket installed upstairs where your computer is but that is a bit late now unless you try your luck and ask BT if they can move it.

Danf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

flat cable is a great shout, hadnt considered it, thanks

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 11

@Danf wrote:

flat cable is a great shout, hadnt considered it, thanks

Flat cable may sound a good call but can cause signal degradation especially over longer distances.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Any cable that's certified as CAT5 or CAT6 (be in flat, round or whatever) will comply with the said standard so it doesn't matter. As long as you are not going over 100meters I doubt you will find any significant loss of signal.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 9 of 11

@gg30340 wrote:

Any cable that's certified as CAT5 or CAT6 (be in flat, round or whatever) will comply with the said standard so it doesn't matter. As long as you are not going over 100meters I doubt you will find any significant loss of signal.

Round cables contain twisted pairs to protect against electromagnetic interference and are good for up to 100 mts without signal loss.

Flat cables contain single strands which do not protect against electromagnetic interference. There is more to signal degradation than loss due to distance.

It is also difficult to find a UK supplier for flat ethernet in excess of 30 mts, your call, your choice.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

The flat cables I have seen have twisted pairs however I'm not going to loose sleep over this.

0 Ratings