cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Antisocial
Message 1 of 6

Infinity - Line Stabilisation & Performance

Hi,

Had Infinity installed on 5 days ago (Monday 28th Feb.) and have been getting considerably lower d/load speeds than advised. I was told when they did a check during ordering process I would have no problems in getting 36 to 38Mbps d/load and 7 to 8Mbps upload, the upload speed is as suggested, the d/load speed is another matter.

I'm currently connected via wifi (802.11g) for both PC and PS3 (due to master socket being a fair distance from PC on a different floor) and getting about 4 to 7Mbps d/load, I know that Wifi will cause a bottleneck, but I wouldn't have thought to that level. I have tried a wired connection and got about 20Mbps max.

I spoke with a BT representative lastnight who informed me they won't look at d/load speed until at least 10 days after installation as this is the minimum stabilisation period. I was a little surprised by that, 10 days minimum, really?

I guess my question is; should I see a dramatic improvement in my Infinity performance from next weekend or am I being fobbed off?

Thanks in advance.

A.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity - Line Stabilisation & Performance

yes it does have a stabilisation period and as you have aid wireless will be slower then a wired connection wired is always the best and most secure which you have proved 20 mb wired 4/5 wireless speaks for its self
0 Ratings
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Wireless G is your problem as it only transfers a maximum of around 17Mb through it.

Try conencting to the router direct and see what it says (with a wire as there will be a big difference)

Or upgrade wireless cards and use wireless N?

0 Ratings
Antisocial
Message 4 of 6

Still surprised at 10 days minimum, but in that case I guess I'll wait it out and see how it goes in the coming days. Working on a permanent solution for wired connection which will help, I don't particularly like WiFi anyway... just need some very long ladders nowSmiley Happy

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 5 of 6

@Antisocial wrote:

Still surprised at 10 days minimum, but in that case I guess I'll wait it out and see how it goes in the coming days. Working on a permanent solution for wired connection which will help, I don't particularly like WiFi anyway... just need some very long ladders nowSmiley Happy

Thanks.

Hi there,

Another option which might be worth considering, would be the use of "Homeplugs" - Basically, as long as your whole house is served by the same electricity meter, then you'd just need to plug one of these into a spare socket by the router and another one, in a spare socket by your PC, then just use standard ethernet cables to connect the homeplugs to the router and the PC, respectively. 🙂

The diagram on this page illustrates it better than I can explain. 🙂

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

@Rottie wrote:

@Antisocial wrote:

Thanks.

Hi there,

Another option which might be worth considering, would be the use of "Homeplugs" - Basically, as long as your whole house is served by the same electricity meter, then you'd just need to plug one of these into a spare socket by the router and another one, in a spare socket by your PC, then just use standard ethernet cables to connect the homeplugs to the router and the PC, respectively. 🙂

The diagram on this page illustrates it better than I can explain. 🙂

I hope this info helps. 😄

As mentioned above the HomePlugs work amazingly and setup is very easy also and you can get upto 200 mbps might suggest looking at Devolo AV200 Series there rock solid.

IceZaroth

BT Community Helper

0 Ratings