cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Slice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Infinity Modem Swap, Kelly Comunications - Very Low speed after swap?

Go to solution

Hi there,

I just had my modem swapped out,  and when the engineer from Kelly Coms was here I tested the down/up speed.

It is currently 3232 Kpbs DOWNLOAD( from my usual approx 38000 Kbps). i.e. 1/10th of the normal speed. 
Download is 7153 (normally 8100 ish).

The engineer said it would go up over the next 24 hours or so.

I have not seen info about this so worried, is this true?  Will the speed be balanced with the exchange and the new router automatically now or is it broken ?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
terryb
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity Modem Swap, Kelly Comunications - Very Low speed after swap?

Go to solution

Hi,

Mine swapped out today . Speed same as it was before changeout.

0 Ratings
Slice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi terryb

OK thanks so basically that was not a correct message from the engineer ...

[edit]  ...later more digging, I managed to get 1 fast test using a different PC plugged into a different ethernet port on the router - which got me wondering.  Then next again a very slow speed test on the main PC which had been fine for many months of course.  

Seems a reboot of the hub has sorted it at the moment, but will report back if it changes.    Maybe it glitches one of the ethernet connections when the new router is plugged in until the hub is rebooted.

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
julianb
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I think this modem swap out is being very badly handled by Openreach.

My parents received a garbled call about BT needing to visit; a call to BT Retail confirms that there is nothing wrong and no appointment; an engineer arrives suggesting that the new modem "has more memory"; his identity card is simply for Kelly Communications and valid until January 2012 (It's the 27th Dec 2011); there's obviously no point in phoning the BT Security number listed in the phone book because he's not a BT Engineer. "Confirming the identity of a BT Person" "When a BT person calls at your home or business you should check their BT identity card and verify the details by calling the Freephone number shown on the back of the card. For further information contact Freephone 0800 321 999"

Although he has a van full of modems it's not difficult to construct a host of scenarios which could involve criminality. The lack of clear communication and appointments from BT Retail, the service provider, is scandalous - and waste of the Kelly person's time as well as the customer. If there's a product recall going on, BT Openreach need to acknowledge as much.

0 Ratings
r1sh12
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Didnt the person that turned up with the modem come in a BT open reach van with a kelly communications logo on the side?

As far as Im aware BT have been sending out letters to people that require a swap.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@julianb wrote:

I think this modem swap out is being very badly handled by Openreach.

My parents received a garbled call about BT needing to visit; a call to BT Retail confirms that there is nothing wrong and no appointment; an engineer arrives suggesting that the new modem "has more memory"; his identity card is simply for Kelly Communications and valid until January 2012 (It's the 27th Dec 2011); there's obviously no point in phoning the BT Security number listed in the phone book because he's not a BT Engineer. "Confirming the identity of a BT Person" "When a BT person calls at your home or business you should check their BT identity card and verify the details by calling the Freephone number shown on the back of the card. For further information contact Freephone 0800 321 999"

Although he has a van full of modems it's not difficult to construct a host of scenarios which could involve criminality. The lack of clear communication and appointments from BT Retail, the service provider, is scandalous - and waste of the Kelly person's time as well as the customer. If there's a product recall going on, BT Openreach need to acknowledge as much.

You should have been notified by letter that you would be contacted or you would ring kelly to make an appointment.

This is the notification from the mods and states that you should recieve a letter.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Infinity-Modem-Swap-amp-Kelly-Communications/td-p/332045

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
julianb
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Yes- exactly- there has been neither letter nor email at any stage. After the unsolicited phone call from Kelly on behalf of BT, which simply confused, I contacted BT Retail on 150 and pressed the various options for help with broadband. The BT retail agent (I think in an Indian call centre) confirmed after quite a lengthy call that this was not genuine. He said that BT sent out, by post, any equipment required- and there were neither appointments nor faults registered on their system against the line.

There needs to be a huge note on any BT Retail employees systems letting them know about this product recall for BT Infinity- but more importantly it needs organising in a safe way. Elderly people could easily be confused as to what is going on. As it was, it took me a good 15 minutes googling to find these posts and this site. There are so many false telephone calls coming through these days suggesting that they are people acting on behalf of BT, HP an the like, sometimes suggesting a computer fault etc, that BT really should have been alive to the pitfalls in asking a sub contractor to contact end users by phone in the first instance.

I also can't see why BT agents, such as the Kelly Comms contractor, shouldn't be given standard BT identification badges for the duration of this contract- and the standard method of recommending customers to confirm the identify of the engineer continue, as set out in the BT Exchanges phone book. Otherwise you'll have an number of people pretending to be contactors and gaining access to peoples homes. For all other provision or fault purposes, the customer initiates the appointment. Where there is a possibility that the provider needs to do this, BT needs adequate safeguards to prevent someone being able to take advantage of the scale of this recall. If there really is a heat issue with these modems, and BT is on any sort of notice that these have the risk of over heating  or catching fire, then BT should be responsible and let users know.

The first act should be for BT Openreach to send replacement modems out- immediately- to all users, with instructions to users as to which coloured lead should be plugged into which hole. For many users, including those working during the day and the vulnerable, this Openreach instructed user swap out, would be much more appropriate (and cheaper for BT) There could be instructions with the equipment that allow people to book a Kelly appointment if they don't want to install the modem themselves. To leave these vague arrangments in place is simply unacceptable and may even be negligent- both for the fire risk from the overheating modems and also the personal safety of vulnerable customers.

0 Ratings
nmg196
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@julianb wrote:

The lack of clear communication and appointments from BT Retail, the service provider, is scandalous - and waste of the Kelly person's time as well as the customer. If there's a product recall going on, BT Openreach need to acknowledge as much.

They've sent letters out to all affected people on BT headed paper. The letter tells you exactly what's going to happen and warns you of the call from Kelly Communications in advance of them phoning up.  I don't really see what more they could do. The letter clearly mentions the URL to verify the Kelly swap out (http://www.bt.com/help/modemswap).  Just read the letters they send you and there isn't a problem. 

If you're really paranoid or the letter is lost, you can ask Kelly how you can verify it's real, and they give you the website address above (which obviously only BT can edit).   I'm really not sure why you're making such a fuss!

0 Ratings
nmg196
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Also have there actually been any fires? Overheating almost never causes a fire as it's a self limiting condition.  If there really have been fires, then I agree that their warning is not sufficient. 

0 Ratings