cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gillis40
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Infinity Option 1 Speeds

Had my Bt Infinity Installed 2 days ago......

Was told that my download speed should be 40mb and upload should be 10mb...

Ive done the checker whilst wired up... (Im feeling wired up at the moment....!!)   lots of times and im getting ...

download between 7 and 10mb

upload between 5 & 6mb

Ping ranges between 45 and 167

wireless is useless it keeps dropping and connecting ive tried changing channels and still its useless....

Any ideas....?

Also did a line check and nothing came up there....!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity Option 1 Speeds

what is your ip profile?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

are you connecting by wireless or ethernet cable when you ran the speed test as the test should be done with a wired connection
0 Ratings
gillis40
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

sorry for the stupid question.....but how do I find out what my ip profile is....?  

0 Ratings
gillis40
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I ran it 5 times over the past 2 days with the ethernet cable...!  Havent tried to run it without...

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 6 of 8

Not a stupid question; we take too much for granted ... To find your profile

Either http://speedtester.bt.com/ and choose the ‘ADSL and Fibre diagnostics’ option
or Tom’s BRAS checker http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker which isn’t a speedtest but gives profile.

(people who post 'what is your ip profile?' should add this to their post)

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 8

@sjtp wrote:
which isn’t a speedtest but gives profile.

have you noticed that the time the bras checker takes is about the same time it takes to run a speedtester?

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 8 of 8

have you noticed that the time the bras checker takes is about the same time it takes to run a speedtester?  I hadn't noticed that.  I tend to start them and get on with something else in another tab.  Just doing some timings as a matter of interest, though ...

I prefer the bras check for a few reasons

1. The bras checker telephone number field is remembered by Chrome, but for some reason it does not remember the field in the BT checker.   (Firefox remembers both).
  2. It does not rely on Java.  I've nothing against Java and use it quite a bit, but there have been hiccups for a lot of people (including me) with Java 7 and the BT checker.
  3. Every now and then, even though I choose the right 'ADSL ... Diagnostics' option in the BT checker, it comes back with a speedtest but no profile.
0 Ratings