cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evereux
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Infinity Option 2 FTP Upload Speeds

I'm now seeing speeds that fluctuate between ~220-600+KB/s.

Whether this was a result of my phone call or time specific traffic shaping I don't know. Once I get a clearer picture of the patterns I'll report back.

0 Ratings
nikev21
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Run the Glastnost Test it will tell you if your ISP is throttling any of the the following Protocols ...

BitTorrent
eMule
Gnutella
 Email (POP)
Email (IMAP4)
HTTP transfer
SSH transfer
Usenet (NNTP) NEW!
 Flash video (e.g., YouTube)

both uploads & downloads are monitored, each test takes about 8 mins to complete

link:

http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest-mlab.php

0 Ratings
iPHAILZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 24

Out of curiosity will that test work outside of throttling times?

---------------------------
Best BT india advice i have seen yet on these forums:
Q: Someone has hacked my wireless network
A: Try plugging router into your test socket.
0 Ratings
nikev21
Contributor
Message 14 of 24

@iPHAILZ wrote:

yes, as far as I can tell, it does.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 15 of 24

@iPHAILZ wrote:

The test will work outside of the throttling periods but will report no throttling.

0 Ratings
nikev21
Contributor
Message 16 of 24

The Glastnost test should always report that Infinity is throttling torrents, because torrent uploads are throttled around the clock,

24/7 and your torrent upload speeds have a direct effect on the download speeds.

P2P is all about sharing files, if everyone on torrents simply closed down their client after receiving a file, then nobody would get anything. Additionally, many torrent sites and private trackers require you to keep a 1:1 share ratio, ie. you put back what you take out. With BT Infinity throttling torrent upload speeds around the clock you will find it extreemly difficult to maintain a 1:1 ratio.

I have an 8Mbit upload capacity on Infinity, but even in the early hours of the morning during the supposedly off-peak period I struggle to reach 1Mbit upload speeds on torrents mostly my uploads hover around the 250 kbps mark.

Torrent upload speeds crawl on Infinity and had I known the extent of the torrent throttling in advance, I would have probably signed up with Virgin Media instead, why, because Virgin Media completely lift their throttle during off-peak periods on torrents.

I wish BT would do the same, lift the throttle on torrent uploads and downloads completely from midnight - 4pm weekdays, and midnight - 9am at weekends.  These are the off-peak periods as outlined in BT's Traffic Management Policy so I don't imagine there will be any kind of traffic congestion during those hours. If Virgin Media can handle unthrottled torrent traffic on their 50Mbit fibre connection during  off-peak periods why can't BT do the same thing on Infiniity

I ran this Glastnost test around 3am this morning, it shows that BT have throttled back torrent uploads from 8 Mbits to 975 kbps.
Why they need to do this at 3am is beyond me, most people will be fast asleep, not using the internet.

http://i51.tinypic.com/vwxrpv.png

0 Ratings
evereux
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 24

I thought I'd report that over the last couple of weeks I've seen no evidence of any throttling that couldn't be explained by limitations of the other users line.

I don't beleive my BT Infinity line is being throttled over FTP.

BT never did get back to me to explain what the policy is with regards to FTP, despite being promised otherwise.

I am generally very pleased with BT Infinity so far. Thought I'd add this considering the amount of negativity in these forums. 🙂

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 18 of 24

@evereux wrote:

I thought I'd report that over the last couple of weeks I've seen no evidence of any throttling that couldn't be explained by limitations of the other users line.

I don't beleive my BT Infinity line is being throttled over FTP.

BT never did get back to me to explain what the policy is with regards to FTP, despite being promised otherwise.

I am generally very pleased with BT Infinity so far. Thought I'd add this considering the amount of negativity in these forums. 🙂

A rather confusing post since you startedt the thread with this 2 weeks ago

@evereux wrote:

Hello,

I moved from Be* to BT Infinity on Friday for the increased line download and upload speeds. I run a private FTP (explicit SSL) server from home and I'm currently seeing upload speeds of between 110-120 kB/s.

The speed tests I've run show that my line is capable of 32-38Mbps download and 7-8+Mbps upload so that it appears to me that the BT Infinity package throttles FTP connections.

Is this normal behaviour due to the 10 day initialisation period (despite my HTTP tests showing good results)? Or is this normal behaviour for BT Infinity Option 2? What are others experiences?

Any feedback is helpful before I contact BT support.

0 Ratings
evereux
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

The thread was started to ask the experiences of others with regards to FTP. I thought I was being throttled by BT (other software was and still is, but this is about FTP). I then posted an update to clarify that further experience shows I don't now think that BT throttle FTP. If I could get reliable testers I'd say so more definitively.

Sorry to have confused you.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 20 of 24

The Glasnost test mentioned earlier is reliable.

0 Ratings