cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Infinity Option 2 Installation

So, I ordered Infinity 2 which will go live on the 16th, which I ordered on the 14th July... god knows why I've had to wait over a month but that's a different story.

My master socket is currently inactive and is in the hallway of a shared bungalow. I want the Hub, Phone and Modem all fitted in my room when the engineer visits. Regarding the data extension kit, I am aware this can be installed for free during the engineer visit and will allow up to 30 metres from my master socket. Does it require any internal cabling? Or can it be run around the walls, through my doorway and around the wall in my room to my desk and then have the Hub, Phone and Modem on my desk so I can have a wired connection from the Hub to my desktop PC? However, the BT website says an engineer visit is no longer needed so how am I supposed to install it on my own with an old phone line that doesn't support fibre speeds?

I have been searching everywhere and nobody will give me a straight answer. I have phoned BT numerous times and they've told me a different story each time. The first time they said I need to have internal cabling to have the Modem in a different room to the master socket. The second time they said I cannot have the modem in a different room to my master socket, even though I told them there are no power sockets in the hallway. The third time they said I could get the modem, hub and phone in my room with data extension kit (no internal cabling) but also said that I would be charged £130 since they haven't booked an appointment for an engineer to see me for it so I have no idea what's going on.

I only came to BT for the infinity service which offers up to 63.5 Mbits and if I can't get it without paying extra for installation then I'm gonna go with TalkTalk since their installation is free, but sadly only offer speeds of upto 14 Mbits. I'd really like Infinity though so any clarification on what will happen would be very appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity Option 2 Installation

If you dont currently have an active phone line an engineer will have to come and install one before infinity gets installed. The engineer can either move the main socket or run a data extension. The data extension is part of the infinity install and the cabling used is surface mounted so it will run on top of skirting boards and round doorframes etc.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

The answer to your question is yes you can have it on your desk all wired up. All they do with the data extension is wire it to the master socket which then becomes the second socket the new socket in your room with the data extension then becomes your master socket. As long as it is less than 30 meters away you should be fine. As for the date its due to such a demand for openreach engineers as anyone that has fiber now regardless if its sky, talk talk, plusnet it all has to be installed by openreach. Hope this all helps? Any more questions just post and ill try to answer as best I can. 🙂
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks Deathtrap! I'm grateful you could help on the same day as I posted.

I keep hearing about these BT horror stories about misleading fine print but I read through all of the T&Cs that apply and nothing seems out of the ordinary to me, well, nothing other companies don't do either... like putting a cap on the word 'unlimited'. I know Virgin would offer unlimited downloads but would throttle your connection at peak times by 75% if you used it by so much but I never knew what this amount was.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

"the new socket in your room"

So this requires internal wiring? Because I'm not allowed that. I need an installation that only uses existing cabling.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

If you have a telephone extension lead in they can use that cos that's all the 30 meter extension!
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

So will the new socket in my room just be a loose wall fitting? i.e. one that isn't like the one in my hallway which is in the wall?
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

the socket doesn't have to be on the wall mines stuffed behind my tv cabinet on the floor as I have it all hard wired behind there.
0 Ratings