Hoping someone can advise me on what to do here, because I am starting to stress out a little bit over my current situation.
Firstly, my back story. I'm currently a BT Broadband customer, but I am moving to a new home where BT Infinity is available, so I ordered the BT Infinity 2 package. I was originally hoping to move on the 10th Dec, but BT told me that the earliest they can move my connection over to my new place is on the 19th due to requiring an engineer visit. Now for an average person, that just means 9 days without internet, no big deal right? Not for me though because in my case, I work full time online. If I'm not able to work, I lose money.
So I delayed my move to the 19th thanks to my current landlord who is letting me stay a bit longer, although it does mean I'm having to double up on paying rent for two different properties since I have already signed the lease for my new apartment.. but it's ultimately cheaper than me taking those 9 days off.
Anyway, the issue and the reason I'm here today is because I just received an email with the following message:
A survey is required by our engineers before we can progress your order, this will result in a delay in us providing you with BT Infinity Broadband service.
We apologise for the delay and can assure you we are working as quickly as possible towards a solution, we will be in touch as soon as we have a further update.
You can track the progress of your order by visiting www.bt.com/myorder, using your order number [removed for privacy reasons]
Due to my online profession, this email is very worrying for me. I do not know how long this delay will be, or when my order will actually be completed. I've heard horror stories of delayed orders taking weeks to complete, and with it being so close to Christmas, I'm worried I'm about to suffer the same fate. The order progress on the website however still shows the 19th as being the date in which my service will be activated, along with the engineer visit.
I was hoping today to finalise my removal services so that I could be at my new place on the 19th, but now I don't know what to do because I don't know now whether I'll need to extend my stay here further just so that I have a working connection or not. I only have another day or two before that choice is no longer an option. I really hope there's a way to escape this fate, even if it means changing my package so that an engineer visit isn't required. Anything just to have the connection set up by the 19th or at least within a couple of days of that date, as I cannot afford to take time off work, nor can I afford to keep paying rent for two different properties just for the sake of maintaining an internet connection.
If anyone has any advice on what to do in this unusual situation, please let me know. The move itself is already stressful enough, but this is definitely pushing my stress levels through the roof.
if you work fulltime using the internet are you a business user? if not maybe getting a business line with better SLA would be better idea than a residential line which shouuld a fault happen can take 3+ days before openreach may be able to fix it
I am just a regular user with a residential line/package. I just tried using the phone number they've given me for my new place on the BT business website, but it says that BT business is not available in my area yet oddly enough. Furthermore I do use my connection often outside of work for gaming.. etc, so not sure if I would suit a business line regardless. (To be honest, I don't really know the differences between the two.. but it seems like it's not an option regardless)
My main concern right now is getting a connection up and running by the 19th (or at least before Christmas) at my new place, even if it means having to change my Infinity 2 order to a lesser one, if I can even do that. (I wouldn't be overly happy with doing that, but a working connection is more important than having to potentially wait weeks after the 19th for one)
Would an Infinity 1 package require an engineer visit? Or would this whole "delay due to an engineer survey" thing affect that too? Also is it normal that my order summary page still shows the 19th as my activation date, despite the email stating a delay? The agent on the phone did mention that an engineer would be in the area prior to that date, which is why I had to wait 'til the 19th in the first place despite originally being quoted an earlier date previously. (I ordered originally on the 24th Nov.) I'm really confused and unsure of what to do right now.. because my whole move is resting on this pretty much. I should note that my new place apparently has the rare FTTP packages available, allowing me to choose Infinity 3 or 4. I'm assuming that changing my order to one of those will not change anything though?
Thanks for your advice so far, much appreciated.
I apologise, but I am fairly new to this kind of stuff. I often heard that Infinity 1 (and regular broadband) didn't require an engineer visit, and to be honest.. I have no idea what an engineer survey is, what it involves, or why it is required. So really, I was unsure whether it would still be required for other packages or not. I'm simply just trying to come up with potential options to sort this situation out and hopefully relieve some of the stress that's building up.
As for whether the property is new or not, I'm fairly sure it's not new. I don't know this for sure though.
Again, I apologise for sounding clueless.
is the new property a new build or has not had a bt phone line.? a survey is not a normal requirement
The property doesn't seem like it is new, I'm fairly sure it isn't, but I have no idea how to tell if it is or not. It does however have a BT Openreach socket installed in it.
do you know if it previously had a bt phone connection - socket would suggest it had but just trying to make sure
Unfortunately I do not. 😕 There definitely is a BT Openreach socket though, and the exact address was picked up on BT's website when I initially tried it to see what sort of speeds I would get. They have given me a phone number too for that address after I placed the order, not sure if that means anything or not though.
I'm almost 100% certain that the building isn't new either, although it is high up on the 3rd floor. Again not sure if that means anything or not though.
The weird thing is, I'm fairly certain that the agent on the phone told me that an engineer would check out the place in between the date I placed the order (24th Nov) and the 19th Dec, so I'm a little unsure as to why I'm being told my order has been delayed because of it. Furthermore my Order Summary page still shows the 19th, although not sure if that just hasn't been updated yet. It's all very confusing and rather stressful.
Thanks for your assistance so far, I really do appreciate it. I apologise for sounding overly worried over this.
see if mods can at least clarify what is happening. they wil post a contact us link on reading this
After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email