cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rattyjunk
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Infinity Problems

My problem is that I had pretty stable full speed with infinity 2 and today the connection dropped and so my speed dropped by some 20m.

I think I know what the problem is.... Several months ago my broadband was working but I had no phonel line. The same is happening now.

I guess I need to get the fault reported, then could you guys point me in the right direction to get the speed sorted if you could please

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity Problems

You've answered this yourself. If you have a fault on your line you need to get that sorted first. Report it as a telephone fault. Do not mention broadband fault. Once the line has been sorted the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) will then slowly increase your speed. This can take a few weeks.

0 Ratings
rattyjunk
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply!! The line fault has been sorted and there was a increase in speed right after the problem was resolved but it's still short of the max speed. I will wait as you suggest, and I assume there is no need for a DLM reset just now?

Also I notice my Ping has jumped from around 17 to 33, not really sure if this is bad or not?

I was getting max up and down, now I'm getting the speeds below based on the below test site 

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I'm getting 63.30/12.29   35.63 ping

I notice in my earlier speed tests  although through speedtest.net that it was using bt servers like 109.148.211.170

ping was low at 17 and speed was lightning. This new batch of speed tests are using servers like 86.184.40.14 and the ping is much higher. Granted the fault has just been resolved so I won't worry yet 🙂

I don't fully understand this so sorry if I'm waffling. I'm happy to wait, just want to have some clarity and whether or not once things have settled down, is it wise to selected different DNS servers to better my ping and overall imrove speed

I guess I need a crash course in networking 🙂

Some results at present, bear in mind my ip profile was showing at 43m on wednesday

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 63.3 Mbps

0 Mbps64.85 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 63.3 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-64.85 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 64.85 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 12.29 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.29Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Just keep an eye on it. Speed should slowly rise but as I've said it can take a couple of weeks. Nothing to lose trying different DNS servers, you can always change back. You could try Google DNS servers.

See link

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

rattyjunk
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks so much for the guide, that will be very helpful.

0 Ratings
rattyjunk
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I read a few posts concerning stale ip's and that, it my slow the line speed down. Sure enough after rebooting the router I'm up to max download, but upload is still down by some 3m. I guess it's silly really to be obsessing over 3m and I should be happy with how things are.....

Thanks guys for the help and it seems just a router reboot fixes some problems right away 🙂

0 Ratings