cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 25

Re: Infinity Roll Out

Going somewhere else is pointless, because IF your cabinet is taking orders the Mods can sort it out for you.

If your cabinet is not taking orders, then going anywhere else is pointless. If BT cannot supply you with Infinity, then NO ONE can supply it to you at the moment.

TalkTalk like all other ISP's get the same data from Openreach that BT get.

toekneem

I understand that!   bt's ownership of this country's basic communications infrastructure is all the more reason why they should be fair and professional in their management.  Good Internet access is becoming critical in our everyday lives and in certain situations can already create serious consequences if not available.  They are dealing with a relatively new technology, which will enhance the UK's position in local and global affairs, yet they still haven't shaken off that 20th century bt culture.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 25

I appreciate the frustration with dates slipping.

However, the amount of work involved to commission one cabinet with FTTC never mind 20+ on an exchange is massive. Blowing the fibres down the ducts is quite a slow process. And that's if the ducts are perfect and haven't collapsed due to the age of them.

Not only that, some delays are out of BT's hands such as planning issues, objections, power requirements, road closures needed etc etc. Equipment availability from suppliers can also cause delays.

Openreach don't delay cabinets for the sake of it, there's genuine reasons behind it. Yes it would be great if we could all have 100meg after making a phone call to a supplier but that's just not how it is.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 25

Hi webby, that's very reasonable and I don't, for one minute, think bt are either malicious or that providing fibre optics across the UK is easy...a very big task!

What winds people up is the fragmented approach, the inconsistency, the lack of info as to why dates slip or, as in my case right now, the contradictory situation where my exchange is inviting orders and the FTTC cab is apparently up and running and my line is capable!!!  Tell me why I can't place an order!

Ironically, I would accept a later date if my order was accepted.  At least I'd know that installation was booked and I was on the list.  I don't wish to be be rude but these little snippets (blowing fibres down the ducts) are not useful.  I don't really care what bt has to do to get Infinity working  (do you care that the Plumber's had a flat tyre when there's water pouring through the ceiling?)  What I need is a service I can rely upon because they've done their preparatory work correctly and can schedule my installation with confidence.

* 'Blowing fibres down ducts'?  I thought they pulled them!!

Mike.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 25

For anyone still following this thread...I was suddenly able to order Infinity, about 2 weeks ago!  The HH3 arrived yesterday and an engineer is scheduled for tomorrow PM.

On that day 2 weeks ago, I spoke to an engineer who was working on the ADSL cab at the A4 junction with our lane.  He assured me that the FTTC was fully operational and there was no reason why I couldn't order Infinity...so, when I got home, I did and it was accepted?  You explain it, I can't.

Perhaps he was the bt CEO on a field trip?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 25

Great news for you !! wot will you do with all that speed??
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Hi, spend more time online looking for ways to compensate for the drawbacks of using wireless!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 25

I have found with hh3 that wireless is fine hardly no drop inspeed .although I would say that distance is a issue I don't think is is any were near as good as the netgear router I had with be interns of signal. Once you get beyond 6/7 meters the signal drop very fast! I would say I could walk almost 60 meters up my street before I Droped signal with the netgear now with hh3 by the time I'm 19meters from my front door I can't connect . I think i will go the home plug way for the furthest part of the house .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 25

I've had Infinity for nearly 24 hours now and find that the wifi signal is noticeably better!  Download is steady at just under 38Mbps and that's what I'm getting on my laptop, which is wifi connected to the HH3.  Unless something changes I'm dropping the Homeplug idea, not least because the HH3 is on a seperate circuit to the house ring main.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 25

@tecmic wrote:

I've had Infinity for nearly 24 hours now and find that the wifi signal is noticeably better!  Download is steady at just under 38Mbps and that's what I'm getting on my laptop, which is wifi connected to the HH3.  Unless something changes I'm dropping the Homeplug idea, not least because the HH3 is on a seperate circuit to the house ring main.

The homeplugs will work over 2 ring mains as long as they are connected to the same meter.

Homeplug upstairs on upstairs ring and homeplug downstairs on the ground floor circuit will work perfectly well

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 25

That's interesting!  Thanks Toekneem.  Even the bt engineer commented that they had to be on the same circuit...my misinterpretation?  Evenso, if things continue as they are I won't need them.  Download down half a meg this morning...only getting 37.4Mbps now. Smiley Wink 

0 Ratings