cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 25

Re: Infinity Roll Out

The difficulties in upgrading a whole exchange, that can be seen and sympathised with. The fact that over 50-60% of cabinets are simply being ignored mostly because they don't want to disrupt local traffic? Lame excuse, I wouldn't care if my car was blocked inside my estate for 2 weeks straight, I'd cope if it meant being brought out of third world technology!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 25

@tecmic wrote:

That's interesting!  Thanks Toekneem.  Even the bt engineer commented that they had to be on the same circuit...my misinterpretation?  Evenso, if things continue as they are I won't need them.  Download down half a meg this morning...only getting 37.4Mbps now. Smiley Wink 

Yes. 1 meter, 2 lighting circuits and upstairs and downstairs ring mains. Home plug upstairs, homeplug down stairs will deffo work. I have used them that way before now.

[edit]http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/faqs.html

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 23 of 25

Update:

Two weeks since install and service has been stable and consistent at 37.5 Mbps.  Wifi has generally improved about 10Mbps.

Frustrating that the speed highlights how many 'slow' websites there are!

Note:

I'm sure most Windows users will know this...

Even with Infinity I was experiencing sluggish performance on my laptop, so ran a defrag.  Files were only 3% fragmented so not much benefit, but a File Clean showed I could free-up over 12Gb of disc space, which I did.  One other small detail, I cleaned the fluff etc out of the the lens on my laser mouse...wow! what a difference.  My web and file selection and navigation are so much 'zippier'.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 24 of 25

Hi Tecmic

Glad its going well and you are right doubling download does not necessarily make the web twice as fast as limiting factors like slow PCs, wireless networks, slow routers and slow servers start to become the limiting factor rather than the internet link itself.

Too many people are fixated with "speedtests" rather than the overall performance including latency, jitter and DNS performance. Its like only considering car performance on top speed only which as any driver knows is only a small part of what makes a good car.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 25

Hi Infinitechris,

You include wifi as a 'slowdown' factor but at 37.5 Mbps down is pretty near the max on this service.  I'm not sure I'm suffering a penalty because of my wifi link!  (I am using the 'N' protocol) 

0 Ratings