Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r1sh12
Expert
Message 1 of 11

Infinity Set up

Hi all,

Im just wondering what sort of installation the engineer does during the home visit?

I was about to order via phone but the sales person told me an engineer will have to fiddle with some wires (What ever that means), the BT site it says the engineer installs a Vdsl modem and the homehub.

If anyone could shed some light on that for me it would be much appreciated.

I literally have 30 devices connected on my network, so I dont want an engineer changing everything without me being here.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Infinity Set up

Hi

This maybe of use to you regarding the set up.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13736/~/preparing-for-a-bt-infinity-installation-visi...

The only you will need to be aware of is that because the engineer will be changing your homehub you will need to reboot all your devices in order for them to acquire a new IP address.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 3 of 11

This page explains what is involved  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13736/c/346,3014,3015

In practice the engineers have around an hour to sort it out and can change the location of your master socket if that is relatively easy or use the data extension. The provision of refreshment seems to help.

What you connect to the modem is up to you but BT will provide a home hub 3 with 4 ethernet ports (one gigabit 3 100mb/sec) and wireless n. You can substitute any router you want that offers PPOE (i.e. a cable router). The engineer will connect to one hard wired PC but if you don't want that its not forced on you. I would arrange to be present if you can. There is no wires only option for Infinity at the moment.

r1sh12
Expert
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the info,

Im in a dilema, my master socket is just by the front door with 2 extensions (1 upstairs and 1 in the living room).

There are no power sockets near by, how much can the engineers move the master socket by?

I think the cable for it comes underground into the house.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
proterra
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

If your wiring is suitable they may be able to bypass the front door one and make one of the others the Master socket. My engineer wired outside the house so my master socket was moved from the lounge to a back upstairs room where my PC is. Drilled through the walls and ran cable.

BT says on its site they will only run inside!!

As has been said many times on here, it depends on the engineer. plus bikkies & coffee help.!!

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 11

There is also the data extension kit which can be laid up to 30Mts from the master socket.

Best bet have a word with the engineer on install as he/she will try to accomodate you if they can.

As proterra says, coffee and buscuit go a long way (or even just the offer of.).

0 Ratings
r1sh12
Expert
Message 7 of 11

THanks for the info,
Ive postponed getting infinity until I can use my annual leave.
I want to make sure I am home when the engineer visits.
As long as the master can be moved Im ok with that.
Hopefully its fairly easy and without too much hassle, I dont want to start the upgrade and then find its going to be hard to move the master socket.
Will update at the end of the month after I place the order.

THanks for the help
0 Ratings
Highlighted
seab20
Expert
Message 8 of 11

@proterra wrote:

If your wiring is suitable they may be able to bypass the front door one and make one of the others the Master socket. My engineer wired outside the house so my master socket was moved from the lounge to a back upstairs room where my PC is. Drilled through the walls and ran cable.

BT says on its site they will only run inside!!

As has been said many times on here, it depends on the engineer. plus bikkies & coffee help.!!

The engineer can run standard phone wire outside of course; it’s the data extension that can only be used inside. The engineer can either run wire outside to move your master socket, or leave your master socket where it is and run the data extension inside

0 Ratings
r1sh12
Expert
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the info,

Im checking with the alarm company if moving the master or changing the wiring will mess with the alarm system.

I do remember being told if the alarm picks up some form of tampering on the phone line it will go off

0 Ratings
madhatter2426
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

On my install last week my setup was master socket front room downstairs, extention socket cable runs up the front of the house to the office above. The engineer switched the sockets round so master upstairs. Modem and hub put there. (Switched home hub for a billion 7800N router after engineer had gone. ). Downstairs socket faceplate changed to extention one.

Before the engineer started I asked him if it would be possable over a coffe e and biskets. At first he just wanted to put master upstairs and nothing down but he then said ok. No problem. My advice, offer coffee and talk to him about the install before he starts.