cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobez
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Infinity Should Be Avalible But It's Not

Hi, im currently on BT total broadband option 3, Getting speeds of around 0.5-1.5 mbps, and most of the time its over 1mbps, but recently its been below 0.2mbps, which is practically unusable, BTIndia complaints have sent over 5 openreach engineers to check our Line For faults, an its been "Fine" every time, however they are unable to help fix the speed, and then they send their report back to BTIndia, but nothing is ever done about the problem.

Talking to the engineer's about BT infinity, they say that this would fix the problem as our non-fibre cabinet is quite far from the exchange this probally causes the slow speeds.

The problem is that we dont have the option to order any infinity package, although every house around our house can order it, and the engineer's said theres no reason our line couldent support BT Infinity, we're connected to the same cabinet as everyone else is, the engineer's checked that, and the cabinet we are currently connected to has a FTTC cabinet next to it.

As our house is within the distance required to order infinity and all the houses close to ours have estimated speeds of over the required speed to be connected to infinity.

Could this mean that its a simple fault with the avalibility checker?

Is there any way to go about fixing this problem or ordering infinity?

I'd appreciate any reply's and any help anyone can provide, thanks

Also before posting about the usual problems, we're on the same cabinet as everyone else is in our town, there is only one cabinet in this town so we cant be on a diffrent cabinet, openreah engineers say theres no reason they couldent connect us to infinity if we were able to order it, they have sucessfuly installed infinity in houses around ours, so whats preventing us from ordering it.
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Bobez
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Infinity Should Be Avalible But It's Not

Oh I forgot to mention, our exchange is Dervock, Ballymoney, Northern Ireland
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 20

Hi Bobez, from your post it could be a database error.  suggest you contact the mods.

If you fill in this form: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 with a link back to your post for ref, the mods will get back to you. It can take up to 3 days ( sometimes longer in busy periods), and they will contact you direct via phone or email.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Bobez
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Thanks Toekneem, i've done this and both them and The call centre are now working on getting us connected to the FTTC cabinet next to our current one like everyone else, hopefully wont take them too long to send an engineer out to do so.

Thanks for your help
0 Ratings
Bobez
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Today the call centre called back and said that an engineer will be sent on the 12th to do a "lift and shift" when i explained this problem, correct me if im wrong but i was aware a lift and shift was to do with connections in the exchange and will do absolutely nothing to help my infinity avalability problem? Just wanted to ask so if its not going to help i can tell them not to send him and waste another engineers time and pursue the ca centre again
0 Ratings
Yogimax
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Hi Bobez

I was in the same situation in Lisburn - all my neighbours had infinity, and the same cable from my house ran to the same FTTC box as everyone else.  However, the availability checker stated that Infinity was not available in my area.

Eventually I managed to persuade BT to put me on to the reduced fibre package (up to 15Mb) which went live last June after much toing and froing.

Unsurprisingly, I immediately received full BT Infinity speed (40Mb download) but a reduced upload speed of 2Mb which was due to the package having the upload restricted.

After some further negotiation I got my upload speed increased to match Infinity, even though officially I still can't get Infinity as "it's not available in your area"

Keep the faith and keep pestering them...

Yogimax

0 Ratings
Bobez
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Awsome mate, going to talk to this engineer whos going to waste his time this week, and then ill be right back on the phone to them trying again 🙂
0 Ratings
tomah
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Facing the same issue it seems.

We've been using Infinity in our current location for some time now. However, we're moving to the same location as the original poster and it's saying Infinity is not available.

Is it possible that the checker database is saying it's not available when it is?

If so, how do I go about telling BT customer service that I CAN get Infinity?

0 Ratings
tomah
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

According to this site I SHOULD be able to get Infinity: http://www.fasterbroadbandni.com/checkcabinet.php?exchange_id=70

Dervock exchange and P1 cabinet, that's my address, yet when I call BT I'm getting told I can't get Infinity!!

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 20

Postcode checks are inaccurate as more than 1 cab can supply a postcode. It is also possible you have an exchange only line.

Use the BT availability checker with a phone number for accurate results.

0 Ratings