cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Infinity Should Be Avalible But It's Not

Use this checker. It will tell you what cabinet you are on and what services you can get etc.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

tomah
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

I've used the checker. It says:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 0282074xxxx on Exchange DERVOCK

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage. Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Mar-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Thank you for your interest.

But that exchange AND the cabinet for my post code has got Infinity. See: http://www.fasterbroadbandni.com/checkcabinet.php?exchange_id=70

I'm confused.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

the link you posted does say subject to change that may be the problem
Distinguished Expert
Message 14 of 20

Your not connected to a cabinet. Your connected to the exchange directly on an exchange-only line
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

No infinity for you I'm afraid if you are direct to exchange.

tomah
Beginner
Message 16 of 20

@legitimise_sailing

Is there any way I can encourage BT to hook me up to get Infinity?

0 Ratings
Bobez
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Hey tomah,

sorry to hear you have the dreaded BT problems,

From what I can see, like mentioned above, you are most likely not connected to a cabinet, and are connected to the exchange, the exchange is between you and the closest cabinet in Dervock as far as I can tell, so it's unlikely they will be able to put you onto the cabinet 😞

But it can't hurt to phone them, and ask if there are any possibilities,

The only Dervock cabinet I've seen is on the left hand side of the road, just before the bridge as you go into Dervock from your direction, if you are >1mile away from this cabinet, then you most likely will have to wait till a second cabinet is put closer to you (unlikely to ever happen due to the limited number of people living down that road.

I'm personally on the Stranocum cabinet, which made infinity available to me when "Infinity 2" was launched, I have no idea if the 15 engineers and 100's of phone calls we made had any influence on this, but we now get a perfectly stable Infinity connection, at exactly 1 mile from the cabinet by car.

It may become an option when they introduce the next generation technologies to be able to send the signal further without loss of speed due to distance (but who knows when that will be), they may also bump the Power of the signal up (I forget the name of it, I believe it was 8, is now 16, and will eventually be 32).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help 😞

keep complaining ^^
tomah
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

Hey Bobez,

Thanks for responding to my plight!

The bottom of the lane of the house is under 1 mile from that cabinet near the bridge. Not much, but it is under. Although if you include the length of our lane, it's probably around the 1 mile mark.

So since it's around 1 mile, should I be able to press that they should be providing Infinity to my address?

Also, do BT get funding from NI Executive to get Infinity rolled out? If so, should I contact the local councillor to see if that would help?

I'll keep calling, even though they just keep saying 'register your interest and we'll let you know when it's available to you'.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

If there are not many house where you are it will not be that financially viable to Openreach to put another cabinet in so your complaints or requests will fall on deaf ears. I will probably get done at sometime in the future but only after more profitable areas are done.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 20 of 20

Contacting your local councillor & MP never goes amiss however being connected direct to the exchange is the problem.

I believe BT will address those connections at the end of the FTTC roll-out.

0 Ratings