Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lilliman
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Infinity Speed Decrease

Hi,

I have a BT Infinity 2 connection that was originally estimated at between 60-80 megabits, though it has never really gone above about 47Mbps. Recently I have been receiving noticeably reduced speeds and having completed a speed test today using both the following sites (both of which result the in same speeds):

www.speedtest.net

speedtest.btwholesale.com

I am only achieving around 42.46Mbps down and 8.44Mbps up. I have it on authority that BT's point of sale for option 2 is 44Mbps (or at least was when I was having problems a few months back), so can anyone offer advice or help at all please?

As a bit more information, as the road travels, I am approximate 0.48km from the cabinet and the estate is about 8 years old, with my property having only been built at the end of last year, so the cabling should be pretty new.

Many thanks,

Matt

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Infinity Speed Decrease

if you have hh5 can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats 1-12

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Can you post a screenshot of the result HERE remembering to remove your phone number, then do the same with the result of the further diagnostics HERE .

If you have a HH5 could you also post lines 1-13 from troubleshooting/helpdesk from the web GUI.

0 Ratings
Lilliman
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Thanks for your reply.

As requested the results are below:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ40308968
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 29/04/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:3 days, 06:58:41
6. Data rate:12045 / 45290
7. Maximum data rate:11893 / 51437
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 21.0
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 20.8
11. Data sent/received:1.1 GB / 531.1 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Telephone Number X on Exchange GRANTHAM is served by Cabinet 32

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)55.838.114.58.9--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)47.527.414.56.9--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--4.5 to 11Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7Up to 14.5 to 11Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

I suppose this means that the wiring/infrastructure is pretty rubbish and I just have to deal with paying for the option 2 when I'm only really receiving option 1?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

probably more to do with your distance from the exchange as your possiblle max speed is not far below the estimated max speed.  it is up to you whether the speed above the infinity 1 level of 40mb is worth the extra monthly cost.  if not then see about downgrading to infinity 1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Lilliman
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Surely that depends on whether the line in "impacted" or "clean", I'm not really sure what those terms mean exactly when it comes to network connections, but assuming it's clean, 42 is nowhere near to 55 and is much closer to 38. If however the connection is impacted (for whatever reason, which if it is I would like to know why) I would agree that 42 is not a million miles from 47, although with it being a new estate and assuming the cabling goes along the roads rather than as the crow flies, my property is only 0.48km from the cabinet so I would have expected the connection speed to be higher. After all the problems I've had with it, it rather stinks of a poorly cabled estate or maybe not enough bandwidth to cope with the traffic. Either way it's a far cry from the "60-80" I was quoted back in Janurary. Also, I am not happy about downgrading to option 1, as a Openreach engineer told me (back in about April/May) that they use "2 lines" to provide option 2 and "1 line" to provide option 1, meaning that if I downgraded my package, it's possible that I might end up with around half of what option 1 should be getting, which sounded crazy but non unbelievable- so on the basis of that I haven't downgraded.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

"Also, I am not happy about downgrading to option 1, as a Openreach engineer told me (back in about April/May) that they use "2 lines" to provide option 2 and "1 line" to provide option 1,

Total  rubbish.

Never heard as much rubbish spoken 

meaning that if I downgraded my package, it's possible that I might end up with around half of what option 1 should be getting, which sounded crazy but non unbelievable- so on the basis of that I haven't downgraded."

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Going by your estimates you could get anything between 27Mbps and 55Mbps so your quoted "60-80" was never going to be achieved. Did you check the estimate using the checker at the time.

Speed tests can vary at different times of the day so you should take a few tests and use the average. Your stats from the Homehub show your max data rate as being 51Mbps and that you are getting about 45Mbps and the noise margin is about right so I would not expect you to get much more speed than you are getting give or take a couple of Mbps.

As regards what the Openreach engineer told you. I hope he was not serious. The only difference between Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 is a software cap placed on Infinity 1 so that if your line was able to get above 38Mbps it would be prevent from doing so.

0 Ratings
Lilliman
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

I seriously hope you're not calling me a liar john46, it may be rubbish but when a supposed expert tells you something, what choice have you but to believe it?!

0 Ratings
Lilliman
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

gg30340, yes the 60-80 was what I was quoted when I originally got the service, the quote seems to have conveniently and dramatically redcued since then. Although I'm quite sure I have still have the correspondence with those figures in.

In regards to the engineer, he seemed quite legimate in his tone- although as I stated above, when a supposed expert tells you something that I personally have no knowledge of- who am I to question it?

It seems that I happened to take out the service right in between BT getting the figures wrong and correcting them and I'm just the unfortunate one who now has to deal with it.

0 Ratings