cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Infinity Speed Drop Requiring Repeated Hub Restart

I have a problem with Infinity and a Home Hub 3. Everything has been working fine for several years, giving speeds of almost 40mbps. Recently I have found that this speed keeps dropping to aroun 2mbps and that mu network wifi printer keeps dropping from the local network. 

All these problems are resolved if I pyull the power plug out of the home hub and then put it back to restore power. The connections all reset correctly and I then get around 28mbps even on wireless, and everything is then fine for a few hours. Then (often first thing in the morning or late afternoon) the speed will drop again to aroud mbps and another hard reset is required.

What can be going on?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity Speed Drop Requiring Repeated Hub Restart

By pulling the power cord out all you are doing is a soft reset.

If you want to do a hard reset you need to do a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I did a factory reset and my broadband speed was almost 50mbps afterwards .... but 8 hours later it had gone back to 2mbps. Another reset and it was back up to 25mbps (on a Saturday evening, which I guess is quite busy).

It seems that I still have to keep reseting the hub to get my high speed back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

It sound like a faulty Homehub.

Make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see what your speeds are. If it maintains your speeds you will know it is a faulty hub.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I waited until the speed drop problem recurred and tried the direct wired connection to the modem as suggested. At the time I was only getting 2mbps via the hub but got 32mbps wired direct to the modem. Done a hub reset a couple of times and have speeds back up to 40mbps but this only lasts a few hours at a time, and has often reverted back to 2mbps by the following day.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Did you keep the direct connection for as long as it would normally take for the speed to drop and did it maintain the speed?  If you didn't you will need to do that to ensure it is the hub at fault and not something else causing it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

No, but the BT speed check shows incoming speed of 70mbps when the speed from the hub has dropped to 2mbps. It's not particularly convenient to use the wired connection as I have to use my work laptop (only one with an ethernet socket) and balance it on a table in the hall and would need to do this for 8 hours while having no wifi connection ...

Also why would a hub reset fix the problem if the incoming speed to the modem was the problem? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

I was recommended to change the wireless channel to manual and have now done so five times using different channels. Every time I change the channel the problem is fixed for a few (around 😎 hours and then the wifi speed drops again. It seems that just changing the channel does the same as a reset and gets the hub working again for a few hours, but whatever the problem is still occurs every few hours. I never actually lose the connection, just the speed drops to between 1 and 2 mbps when it is normally at around 40mbps

0 Ratings