Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesj999
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Infinity Speed Dropped after a period of instability

Hi All,

Was wondering if I could get some advice on a problem I've been having as telephone and live chat support have been no help at all.

I first joined BT Infinity 2 at this address in 2013. I received around 55mbps, which was absolutely fine.

Around 6 months ago, I had a period of a couple of weeks where I couldn't hold a stable Internet connection for more than a day. Since then, I always connect at 34998kbps. Never a kbps more, never a kbps less (which seems a bit weird as DSL speeds normally fluctuate slightly).

Looking at my IP profile using the BT Wholesale Speedtest tool shows that my IP profile is indeed set to 33mbps. However, looking at the maximum attainable rate on the line, I can see that this is still between 54-56mbps. Looking at the other statistics from my router shows that the SNR Margin and Attenuation should both allow for a closer speed to the attainable rate:

Line Statistics

Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate 34998Kbps 11824Kbps
Attainable Rate 54733Kbps 11879Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 1 1
Actual PSD 6. 7dB 11. 8dB

Near End Far End
Trellis ON ON
Bitswap OFF ON
ReTx 0 1
SNR Margin 14dB 6dB
Attenuation 21dB 26dB
CRC 0 12587
FECS 0s 925481s
ES 0s 10898s
SES 0s 25s
LOSS 0s 322s
UAS 39s 865228s
HEC Errors 0 0
RS Corrections 0 0
LOS Failure 0 0
LOF Failure 0 0
LPR Failure 0 0
NCD Failure 0 0
LCD Failure 0 0
NFEC 255 32
RFEC 16 16
LYSMB 3172 16

As you can see from the above, my upload speed is actually very close to the attainable rate, but my download speed is a full 20mbps short.

From what I can tell (with my limited knowledge), my IP Profile needs to be reset so that the line can re-train to a higher speed. However, all I get from BT is that I'm receiving my "promised speed" which was sent to me when I renewed. As when I renewed I was already receiving ~55mbps, I assumed (I think fairly) that my speed would stay roughly the same.

Can anybody who understands the facts and figures above a bit better than I do confirm that I should (or should not if that is the case) be getting closer to my attainable rate please? How can I get BT to request Open Reach to do this when all I get from customer service is an argument?

Thanks very much in advance!

EDIT: By the way, the connection at this speed is rock solid - I can go 4-5 weeks between disconnects.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Infinity Speed Dropped after a period of instability

Banded profile

What's the estimated speed range for your line on dslchecker.bt.com?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
jamesj999
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Hi - thanks for your response.

The speed range estimate is:

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 55.5 42.7 11.9 7.8 -- Available -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 41.7 22.4 9.6 5

The 55.5 in Range A being roughly the attainable rate reported by my router.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

you did not show connection time  has your conenction been dropping and or have you been manually resetting the conenction to try and improve connection?

you are in a banded profile and that should recover automatically but you need a stable 24/7 connection with no drops/resets and it can take a few weeks to recover

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

You need to report a fault - and get the broadband engineer who comes to request a DLM reset which will remove your r banded profile.

As an aside, you would be better off with Infinity 1 now @55Mb as long as you are willing for your upload to be capped at 10MB

0 Ratings
jamesj999
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Hi,

I have had this speed for about 6 months now. The router is on 24/7 and I only reset it on Tuesday when I was on a call with BT Customer Service. Other than that, it often stays connected for over a month at a time. So current connection time is 41:29:22, but the connection before that was up for well over 400 hours. The connection is rock solid - rarely drops out.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

@imjolly wrote:

you are in a banded profile and that should recover automatically but you need a stable 24/7 connection with no drops/resets and it can take a few weeks to recover

In theory, this is correct. However, there are more and more cases where the banded profile is not being removed and require an engineer to attend - I suspect Openreach have changed some of the DLM settings so its behavior has changed.

in this case, the OP states that his line tends to have 4-5 weeks between disconnections which is more than enough time for DLM to remove the banded profile if it was going to fo so automatically 

0 Ratings
jamesj999
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses and it seems like you're confirming my suspicions.

Do you know the best way to go about asking customer services to send an engineer out? I've currently had two interactions which went like this:

Interaction 1 (Live Chat):

After going through the usual 'script' bits (do a speed test etc. etc.) they said my "Promised Speed" was 35mbps and they were giving me that so they considered there to be no problem. When I argued and said my line WAS capable of higher and the attainable rate is still the same, they tried to fob me off with all kinds of rubbish, ranging from "I can see there are two devices connected" (total lie) to "you were lucky to get the higher speed before". After asking to speak to a supervisor, they suggested I call the sales team. At this point I gave up.

Interaction 2 (Call):

Basically the same as above - except I started the call saying I believe my IP profile is wrong. After the usual script they put me through to sales. Sales chap was nice and said he could see there was an issue. He put me back through to technical but after an hour of waiting I reached 'closing time' (8PM) and gave up.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

ending up in a banded prfile does not just happen but is normally caused by a few drops in conenction and/or manuual resets in a short space of time time .  

getting an engineer just to reset the DLM is unlikely as there needs to be fault fixed before engineer resets the DLM

the ip profile is correct for your connection speed  it is your low banded conenction speed that results in low profile not the other way round

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jamesj999
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

@imjolly wrote:

ending up in a banded prfile does not just happen but is normally caused by a few drops in conenction and/or manuual resets in a short space of time time .  

getting an engineer just to reset the DLM is unlikely as there needs to be fault fixed before engineer resets the DLM

the ip profile is correct for your connection speed  it is your low banded conenction speed that results in low profile not the other way round

Possible, but given that the neighbours are still getting upwards of 50mbps, and the attenuation/SNR margins seem fine (based on my very limited knowledge) as well as the stability of the connection - is this likely? Either way, getting an engineer down would fix the issue, but as per my previous post I can't seem to convince customer service to actually do it.

EDIT: Apologies, just read your response again. Apologies, I must be referring to the banding when I talk about the IP profile - did not realise these were different 🙂

0 Ratings