cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teasdale
Message 1 of 20

Infinity Speed Dropping

We upgraded to Infinity 2 last week and on the day we recieved about 54mb down and 14 up. Now, only a week later we have dropped to 38 down and 9 up and our ping has tripled which is very important to me as a gamer. I have a feeling this is because we were estimated to recieve around 38mb down so our speed is being capped to this, even though the line was stable at over 50. Am I right and is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Infinity Speed Dropping

Please could you do a speedtest at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

Then post the results, as it will give a better understanding of your situation.

0 Ratings
Teasdale
Message 3 of 20

1. Best Effort Test: 

Download Speed : 38.98 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: 

Upload Speed : 7.79 Mbps

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

Sorry I meant to say could you use the ADSL & Fibre to the Cabinet(FTTC) Diagnostics option

That way it will show your download and upload profile

0 Ratings
Teasdale
Message 5 of 20

I keep getting this error:

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

Sounds like you have a problem with your upgrade to infinity 2 not completing.

Edit: Something you can try is to turn both the modem and homehub off for at least 1 min. and then turn back on and then try a speedtest again and post the results.

Use the following link to contact the mods who can help you further.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 20

@Ratty2012 wrote:

Sounds like you have a problem with your upgrade to infinity 2 not completing.

Edit: Something you can try is to turn both the modem and homehub off for at least 1 min. and then turn back on and then try a speedtest again and post the results.

Use the following link to contact the mods who can help you further.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

A few of us haven't been able to get our IP profile for a couple of months now, I'm in contact with the mods and are still trying to get this fixed.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Teasdale
Message 8 of 20

Given both a restart, hasn't made any difference. I'll talk to BT but I'm pretty sure my speed is being capped.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 20

When first installed, the system lets your line go uninterleaved and as fast as possible and monitors what happens, and throttles you down as it deems appropriate.  So, depends what you mean by 'capped'.  Probably the absolute maximum speed the line can take is around the 54Mbps you saw initially, but this can't be reliably kept up 24/7.  There are all kinds of intermittent forms of noise that can happen on a line.  The 38 you are seeing is the fastest DLM (Digital Line Management) reckons the line can manage consistently.  Similarly, DLM has also decided to add interleaving to improve reliability.

If your noise was very intermittent and does not reoccur, DLM should eventually let you return to a faster speed, and may even turn internleaving off again.

One problem with the DLM system is it doesn't give the end user any choice of the speed/latency/reliability tradeoff.  Many people would happily accept slightly slower speeds and less reliability for lower latency; but DLM (as implemented by Openreach and BT retail) does not give the option.

0 Ratings
Teasdale
Message 10 of 20

Looks like this is the case. It is just frustrating as there was no problem with the line at our end at the higher speeds and at this speed my ping is barely better than it was on a 1.5mb line.

0 Ratings