Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 7

Infinity Speed Upgrade

Go to solution

My email announcing the new BT prices contained the news that my Infinity1 maximum speed was to be raised from 38 to 52 Mbps. A few weeks later, in mid-June, I got the follow-up message that it was now in place. Since then, I've carried out random checks and the results are still the same as I've always had with Infinity - between 23 and 38 Mbps but mostly around 35, except on one occasion when it hit 41. Upload is unchanged at around 8 Mbps

I'm close to the exchange and my line is good, with an ADSL speed which used to be consistently near the maximimum, around 18 Mbps. The BT performance test confirms a new maximum speed and IP Profile of 53.23 Mbps. The broadband checker says this:

Capture.JPG 

All in all, I would have expected an increase in speed of something like 10 Mbps but it's virtually zilch. It's academic because the service is easily good enough for my needs, but any enlightenment or comment would be welcome.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Infinity Speed Upgrade

Go to solution

if profile is 53.23Mbps then your conenction speed must now be at indinity 1 new max of 55mb so you have received the upgrade  is the problem yo have that your download speed is not near the profile done with a wired conenction?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the prompt reply, Don. No, my otherwise well-specced laptop doesn't have an ethernet port and I've never felt the need for a USB adapter. Is that likely to be the reason? I've always obtained near top-level results wirelessly and assumed that this would still apply with this modest increase.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I think if you could use ethernet conenction then your download speed would be nearer profile.  you could try changing channel to see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Appreciated, Don. InSSIDer doesn't show much congestion but changing channel has achieved a slight increase (though it may a random fluctuation). I think a wired connection might be the answer but I won't go for it as it would be cumbersome and of little practical benefit.

--
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@pottyperson wrote:

Appreciated, Don. InSSIDer doesn't show much congestion but changing channel has achieved a slight increase (though it may a random fluctuation). I think a wired connection might be the answer but I won't go for it as it would be cumbersome and of little practical benefit.

Just wanted to add to this.

As already posted on the forums, my HH6 rebooted at 1-00 am, after 14 days continuous connection. Nothing new there: the HH5 did that. At least you know that the connection is being monitored/managed.

The noise margins improved slightly, i.e. were set nearer to he 6dB level, with a slight increase in speeds.

However, I'm still on fast path, so either there a only a few data errors, or a correction may come later, (or even a g.inp activation).

Over all it looks good, as long as I can receive emails, and watch my shares tumbling, then speed isn't so important.  Smiley Indifferent

There's many posts on the HH6; almost as if a separate section is required. But perhaps this may calm. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I think a separate section for the HH6 would only lead to confusion and more work moving posts. Posters are already posting HH6 problems/information on both the Infinity board and the Connected devices board even if the problem is unrelated to a connection problem etc so a HH6 board would cause them an even bigger dilemma as to which board to post on.