Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamd
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Infinity Speeds & NetProtect Firewall

Go to solution

All,

two questions if I may, just got Infinity installed and seeing around 16.5 Mbps using BT Speedtest which also says "17788 Kbps" is Max achievable speed.

I am within my 10 day bedding period but the adsl checker site says my max should be around 23.8 Mbps.

Am I likely to see improvements beyond what I am seeing now.

Should I look at configuration of HH3?

As a secondary issue I installed BT NetProtect and found that when running speedtest the NetProtect firewall seemed to kick in and tests would slow right down. If I turn off firewall speeds are fairly constant around the levels shown above. real time scanning is still enabled within NetProtect but seems strange that firewall should interefere like this. Any ideas?

Sorry for posting two questions Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Infinity Speeds & NetProtect Firewall

Go to solution

What does it say for your IP Profile?

Personally I have never used any ISP supplied security, I use a paid for business one but there are many very good free one's available for ordinary users such as Avast, ZoneAlarm, AVG etc.

0 Ratings
adamd
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your prompt reply.

My ip profile says;

IP Profile for your line is -17778 Kbps

which I suppose means I am getting close to my profile. How is the profile defined / set? Is part of the 10 day "training process"? 

I can understand my upstream profile being set to 2 meg because that is what I am paying for but I am only a few hundred metres from the cabinet.

I was using AVAST without any problems prior to installing this BT freebie. Might go back to it!

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
apocalypsecow
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Re the netprotect firewall - I have had the exact same issue.

Since the netprotect software updated itself a couple of days ago my download speeds were dropping lower and lower.  Usually I get a very reasonable 30Mb d/l.

When I could get speedtest.net to load (and not time out) my d/l speeds would start at 30Mb for a moment, drop to 15Mb then immeditately drop to less than 1Mb before timing out completely.

I thought I had a virus or there was an issue with Infinity itself.  I tried all manner of things, but doing a windows system restore fixed the issue - but it wasn't until my laptop rebooted and the netprotect re-updated itself that the issue returned.

Disabling the firewall (and using windows defender's own firewall instead) fixes the issue completely.  Turning the netprotect firewall back on totally destroys any/all downloads on my system.

So - for anybody else having issues with a suddent loss in infinity download speeds, check your firewall...

update:  after looking through the mcafee forums it seems I'm not the only one with issues re the personal firewall software.  The "good" news is that you CAN leave the mcafee firewall on but you have to turn NetGuard off.

For some reason, NetGuard is blocking all downloads and streaming videos (yes, even youtube) after a few seconds.

fyi - if you go to "about" in your netprotectplus software, check the version number of the personal firewall - if it's version 12, build 12.0.345 then this is the one with the issue.

0 Ratings
adamd
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Wow, that would co-inside with my latest issues.

Thanks for the advice. much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sharpy74
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Been having the same problem for weeks. Been reinstalling various software and disabling various plugins to try and find the problem. Was on the verge of reinstalling Windows completely when I found this. Problem only occurs when netguard is running.

0 Ratings