cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LindaS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 36

Re: Infinity Twitch Streaming issue, who has it?

I've had this problem for the last 4 weeks too, iPad (m3u8 stream) works fine, watching a stream on any computer however, stutters massively (if I try above 360p). 

Previously (May 2012 - July 2013) I was able to be able to watch 7-8 720p streams simultaneously with no stuttering at all. To be honest it seems to be a problem on Twitches end, but unfortunately their support isn't much help. Everyone I know in the UK on both BT and Virgin are having the same problem.

0 Ratings
flamey
Contributor
Message 22 of 36

^^ Yes it is twitch's end, none of their three new europe datacentres are online yet which would at least temp. fix the issue. If you keep refreshing you sometimes get a different server though and it can sometimes be fine - this was especially noticeable for me during TI3.

Specific to 1080p+ chrome seems to have trouble in some cases with pepperflash stuttering which doesn't occur on the same streams using ie10.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 36

I hope that is the case as I tried an Amercian VPN as a workaround and suffered the same problems as I have with twitch normally. I did a speedtest on the VPN that came back at 13Mbps which is way more than any twitch stream should ever need.

0 Ratings
LindaS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 36

I just tried an American VPN (New York, US) 50mbit, and for the first time in the last month I was able to watch 720p/1080p streams smoothly, I had 6 simultaneous 720p streams running via the VPN with no lag/stuttering at all. If I try to run a single 720p stream without the VPN it stutters like crazy. 

Definitely looks like Twitch's EU/UK servers are way over capacity and they're not in any hurry to do anything about it. 

If I enable the US VPN, open the twitch steams I want ensuring I get put on US Twitch servers, then (optionally) disable the VPN the streams work fine.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 36

Hi,

What VPN service do you use as the one that I have access to isn't very fast and I would really like to be able to watch a stream without lag for once. If you don't mind that is Smiley Tongue

0 Ratings
LindaS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 36

Hi,

I used StrongVPN, it's not free but is relatively cheap (£4/month), they have about 50 servers in New York, I tried a few and they all speedtested in the 20-50mbit range and had no problem playing various 720p/1080p twitch streams. 

Not sure if there are any good free ones, but I'm happy paying for a few months until Twitch (hopefully) sorts their EU servers out.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 36

Thanks appreciate it will give it a go 🙂
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 28 of 36

For free US VPN I've tried this one in the past and it's been OK for streaming. Be aware the passcode changes daily so you always have to check what it is before you try tro connect.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 36

Has anyone that uses Twitch on the ipad noticed that it has started to freeze again, on my Ipad now the stream will start to freeze and I will have to come out and back in to get it to work again, but ultimately it will just freeze again. I have had this issue before but it was working fine on mobile for a while and then all of a sudden its back.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 36

Anyone having a better experience with this, finding it awful on both the iPad and PC at the minute

0 Ratings