cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canda
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

Infinity Works Fine - But No Dial Tone ?

Go to solution

Hi there, first post so please be kind?

Have made no changes at all at home, up to yesterday everything was working fine. Then realised no calls on phone.

Infinity/internet works fine, however I get no dial tone on any phone - and when I dial the land-line get an engaged tone.

Have removed all extensions, and plugged into the test socket and get a dial tone? - But re-attach both OpenReach faceplates - get no dial tone.

Does this mean the faceplates could be faulty?  If the FP's are broken - does Openreach replace them? Or could I be liable for the £99 charge for having an engineer come out?

Many thanks for any help or advice - all appreciated.

Alex.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Infinity Works Fine - But No Dial Tone ?

Go to solution

Do you have any extensions connected to the back of the bottom removable faceplate?

canda
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

Hi there - I don't know how the extensions are connected to this socket to be honest. I'm afraid.

The old master was next to the front door - with all extensions wired in there.  When Infinity was connected a few months back the engineer made the socket in the front room the new master.

So I presume there must be connection from the old master to the new.... but cannot see where it is I'm afraid.

Could I just use one faceplace? The current outermost one to try and remove all internal wiring?

Thanks,

Alex.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

The master socket that Openreach fitted should look like the picture below, there should be nothing connected into the old master socket, and your extensions should all come from the bottom of this socket.

If you remove this bottom section and plug a phone into the test socket behind, do you get dial tone?

newnte.jpg

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution

Hi

As Keith suggests if you have undone the 2 screws to remove the front plate if you have any extensions in your house the "should" be connected on the rear of this plate.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
canda
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks - I have two faceplaces.... (sorry for the small photo - phone!)

phonesocket.jpg

I think... the bottom one goes out to the old master socket and connects where all the extensions are routed.

The only phone in the top one is the sky box.

Thanks for your help.

Alex.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

Dave,

I cannot understand what they mean about two faceplates? There is only the bottom section which is normally "user removable"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

Hi

looks like you have a plugable extension kit plugged into the frontplate (sky?)

Can you give us a shot of the front plate removed, may also be worth unplugging anything plugged into the front plate.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

The top one should only be plugged int the Openreach modem, and nothing else. The bottom one is for any phones or extensions.

Like this picture.

Typical fibre-based broadband connection

canda
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

Thank you for both of your help.  I only have the hub/modem connected to the top of the socket - per the diagram.

Taken the Sky adaptor off. And the faceplate off as below;

phone socket.jpg

Still no dial tone, but can occasionally hear a crackle.  I think this may be beyond me !!  🙂

Thanks for your advice.

Alex.

0 Ratings