Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 23

Infinity and gaming (again!)

Hi all,

I've posted before about this problem but just wanted to ask a question. My problem basically is Infinity being terrible for online gaming (XBOX 360), mainly COD4 and some MW2/3 and Black Ops2. If I'm host it's atrocious, I usually quit straight away if I know I'm host. Off host is better not as it should be on my sort of connection but its ok 'ish'.

I'm fully aware of the 'lag compensation' problems with the more recent COD games but I don't know why my host is so bad when playing COD4 & MW2, I know other people who are on Infinity and have no issues playing it, when they're host they have a great connection...as it should be.

I've contacted the mods about this and they said everything is fine at BT's end and that it must be something to do with COD/Activision or Microsoft.

I've since spoken to someone who suggested it may have something to do with the way my ISP is 'routing the traffic' (or words to that effect) to the Call of Duty/Activision or Microsoft servers. My question is...could this be the case?

I have no other issues with my connection apart from that, download & upload speeds are great as is my ping. Streaming is fine etc.

Thanks

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: Infinity and gaming (again!)

You should use all consoles by ethernet cable, not wireless, wireless is not a good constant connection for online gaming for pings etc.. Unless you have a Wii or Wii U, connect your 360 and PS3 to you ethernet cables, you should have no issues then!. 🙂

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 23

XBox is wired mate. I always use ethernet cable where possible. I just wondered if the fella I spoke to was correct when he said it could be the way BT route the traffic to Microsoft or Activision servers...is it a possibilty do you think?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 23

Yeah, there is definitely a problem, ive posted about it a few times and still no idea what the problem is, mine is a wired ps3

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/There-is-something-wrong-with-my-infinity-but-i-dont-know-wha...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 23

I agree McNugget that there is a problem. I'm sort of resigned to the fact things aren't going to improve but I would like to know what's causing it.

When I'm host it's not obvious lag that causes everyone to teleport around the map, it's the fact that everyone seems to have an advantage over me (when if I'm host, it should be the other way around). On the rare occasion that my connection as host works as it should the difference is amazing but it only lasts for a couple of games then back to being a terrible again.

As I said, I'm fully aware of the lag compensation implemented in the recent Call of Duty games but not the early ones.

If a mod sees this thread could they please confirm if it could possibly be a traffic routing issue at BTs end. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 23

I've contacted the mods to see if they can shed some light on this
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

Have you tried putting your xbox in the DMZ on your router? when I used to use XBL I found this was the only way to get a deecent connection (with various ISPs)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 23

I think I've tried it all mrdubya, DMZ, connecting the Xbox directly to the modem etc.

Good luck McNugget, I had no joy when I contacted the mods.... apparently it's all good at my end.

I just want to know if it could be a traffic routing issue, lol.
I think I'll contact the mods again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 23

I've also tried the dmz, port forwarding, turning the firewall off, different routers etc, none of it works
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 23

Hi guys,

Thanks for posting. Can you all post a tracert to the game and one to the BBC site for comparison simliar to McNuggets post here .

Cheers

David

0 Ratings