Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 8

Infinity arriving dates confusing.

Hi

Sam Knows http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NDEGR

and Openreach http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/where-and-when/default.htm

Both show East Grinstead as 31/03/2011

Yet BT Infinity http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017&s_cid=con_FURL_...

Their result shows 1 July 2011.

I have recently joined BT Broadband's up to 20Mb service but only receive 1.7mb

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1079409206.png[/IMG][/URL]

on a line that is just over 1km from the exchange. (In NTE5 test socket Noise margin down/up 6.4dB/16.0dB & Line attenuation down/up 56.0db/31.5dB).

The solution BT gave to solve the slow speed problem was to transfer me over to Infinity early next year.

My router shows I am on G.992.1 yet G.992.5 is available.

I agreed to wait for this solution as it seemed sensible not to waste time on the slow speed when an upgrade to the exchange was being carried out in the near future and I was assured that I was prioritised for the change over.

However if the July 2011 date is correct I will need to have the speed problem resolved in the meantime.

(I can post more detailed router stats and BT speedtest results if we get to that stage).

So can someone from BT please advise on the correct date, then I can take it from there.

Thank you,

PC

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity arriving dates confusing.

The first 2 are exchange based documents but by using you phone number / postcode the retail site is accessing cabinet level information.

You may only live 1km from the exchange but you phone line goes round the houses to get there. Your attenuation figure suggests a phone line length of 4.1km. Be that as it may you should be able to get closer to 3Mbps.

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub - 192.168.1.254
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it
Click on More Details and then post the results.

And post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

then someone may be able to help and offer more advice.
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your reply.

I guess Infinity is many months away then...

Regarding distance, my immediate neighbours (just a matter of feet away) are able to obtain 6Mb with Talk Talk http://www.speedtest.net/result/966879870.png

and 4Mb with Sky.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/966828307.png

My Router stats and Speed results at 3pm 21 dec 2010 below.-

Thanks,

PC

ADSL line status<script type="text/javascript">// var trClass = ["odd", "even"]; var td1 = ["w3", "Line state", "Connection time", "Downstream", "Upstream"]; var td3 = ["w3", "VPI/VCI", "Type", "Modulation", "Latency type", "Noise margin (Down/Up)", "Line attenuation (Down/Up)", "Output power (Down/Up)", "Loss of Framing (Local)", "Loss of Signal (Local)", "Loss of Power (Local)", "FEC Errors (Down/Up)", "CRC Errors (Down/Up)", "HEC Errors (Down/Up)", "Error Seconds (Local)"]; var td2 = ["", "Connected", "0 days, 17:48:39", "2,240 Kbps", "448 Kbps"]; var td4 = ["", "0/38", "PPPoA", "ITU-T G.992.1", "Interleaved", "6.6 dB / 15.0 dB", "55.0 dB / 31.5 dB", "17.8 dBm / 12.6 dBm", "0", "0", "0", "7915 / 0", "42 / 2147480000", "nil / 0", "33"]; // </script>

Connection information<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td1, td2); // </script>
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 17:48:39
Downstream2,240 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings<script type="text/javascript">// createTable("normal", trClass, td3, td4); // </script>
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.6 dB / 15.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)55.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)17.8 dBm / 12.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)7915 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)42 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)33

Speed test result.-

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

<script type="text/javascript">// paintProgressAndMessageOnBar(100,"The test has successfully completed"); // </script> Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
1334 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 1334 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 1.32:18.26:80.42 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Note: An Upstream test was not conducted on this line due to a technical issue. If your concern is related to upstream performance then please retry
the performance test again in 1 hours time.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

From reading other posts on the forum it sounds strange but next door's phone line does not necessarily follow the same way to the exchange as your own.

your stats look ok with noise margin normal at 6 and not a lot of errors.  you are still on adslmax up to 8mb.  If you exchange is 21CN enabled you may be able to upgrade but the improvement if there is one won't be great.

you can check speed here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php  just enter your attenuation from your router.  I would add that 21CN adds about 2/3db to your attenuation so for adsl2/2+ remember to make adjustment.

Are you connected to the master or test socket or somewhere else?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

In my first post i mentioned = (In NTE5 test socket Noise margin down/up 6.4dB/16.0dB & Line attenuation down/up 56.0db/31.5dB).

Using Kitz with my Downstream attenuation of 55dB it gives a line length of 4Km and speeds of.-

dslMax 3680 kbps   IP Profile 3000 kbps

adsl2+ 3904 kbps   IP profile 3000 kbps

adsl2+ LLU 3904 kbps Throughput 3455 kbps

As my telephone line and broadband is with BT I would expect to be on the 3904/3455 service

Using my telephone number on Sam Knows it shows these BT services are available.-

• BT Wholesale ADSL
  • BT Wholesale ADSL Max
  • BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
  • BT Wholesale SDSL
  • And 

• FTTC should be available in your area from 31/03/2011

If the date in March was/is correct then I could see why (and agreed) BT suggested they wait and transfer me to Infinity rather than invest time and money sorting my line out by moving me from G.992.1 to G.992.5.

I moved from Tiscali onto BT's up to 20 Mb service to get an increase in speed....

Well if I was to be completely honest I also wanted to escape Talk Talk/Tiscali.

If the Infinity date is going to be July I would like BT to at least move me to their best (up to 20Mb) service in the meantime, and I am paying nearly twice what I was Tiscali.

PC

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
    Distinguished Sage
    Distinguished Sage
    Message 6 of 8

you are on adslmax up to 8mb and need to contact BT if you want upgraded to 21CN adsl2/2+  The figures quoted on Kitz are for illustraion and a based on a good line.  To get a speed for idea for your line on adsl2+ then you need to add 2/3 db to your 55/56 when you key into kitz as that is the increase in attenuation you get from adslmax to adsl2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
    If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
    PC
    Recognised Expert
    Message 7 of 8

Thanks imjolly I sent an email to the Forum Mods as suggested.

I requested help in improving my speed due to the delay in the infinity speed solution.

It looks like I was changed over to ADSL2 last night. No change in speed yet 1.7Mb

Am I correct in thinking I am now on another 10 day training period?

And thanks Mods for trying to speed me up.

PC

Note automatically disconnected at 3.30am 1 Feb 2011 (9 hours ago)

And Modulation now 992.3 (ADSL 2)

Router stats at 12.30pm 1 Feb 2011

ADSL line status

Connection information

Line state

Connected

Connection time

0 days, 9:02:49

Downstream

2,073 Kbps

Upstream

440 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

ITU-T G.992.3

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

6.4 dB / 14.5 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

54.5 dB / 33.4 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local)

Loss of Signal (Local)

Loss of Power (Local)

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

1777 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

16 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

nil / 0

Error Seconds (Local)

PC (NDEGR)

Distinguished Sage
    Message 8 of 8

As my telephone line and broadband is with BT I would expect to be on the 3904/3455 service
    sorry the LLu service is not bts adsl2+ 3904 kbps IP profile 3000 kbps that is bt's however at the moment your line is on adsl2 not 2+ most likely because of your line length and any possible line noise left with out any hub restarts it should change to adsl2+ if the line remains stable