cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BWP
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Infinity availability - mixed information given.

Earlier this year BT advised me that Infinity would be available to me in July (I registered my interest) and I've seen a lot of engineer activity and junction boxes over the last few weeks. But now, in July, the BT webiste advises not within 6 months! Having announced it would be here by July, it's reasonable to assume that issues about cables and distances etc had been resolved. So what's going on?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity availability - mixed information given.

Hi.

the dates are estimates and reliant on a number of things and they are also reliant on outside contractors to do some of the work. They do move dates back in blocks.

Dates are also brought forward sometimes just a couple of weeks before they go live.

If you have had the NEW green cabinets put in place, they then need work by openreach to get the cabinet ready, they need trenches dug for power cables and then filled in. They need to be powered up, tested and commissioned before they go into service. this can easily take three months or longer form when cabinets are seen.

All you can do is keep checking on a regular basis the BT Wholesale checker.

Its frustrating.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
BWP
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the prompt repsonse. Have since Openreach etc and understand delays - but more than six months out? Thought I'd check my speed on BT website - "not a BT line" ! - NOT true, begining to wonder what's going on here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Hi.

Are you using this checker:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

As regards the length of time. In my case, fibre shoild have been available beginning of March 2011, then the date went to Ist June 2011, then end of July 2011, then date changed to End of September 2011.

Cabinets were installed in April and about the 15th June BT wholesale checker suddenly said it was available from 22nd June. thats 3 months early from there last estimated date.

Put your ear close to the vents on the Cabinet, can you hear it humming (powered up). If so date could be close.

Check the checker on a daily basis. Look out for contractors (electricity) working on it. If you see an Openreach engineer working near it , maybe ask him.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
BWP
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

No I wasn't using that link - tried it and that's much better and informative. Appreciate your help, feel much better now. Just one last thing, is there a easy way to upgrade in the short term to remove my download limit while I'm waiting?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Hi , Upgrade is always possible.

Even if you are part way through an existing contract with BT you can upgrade. You would then start a new contract.

If you have an old type hub and are out of contract you can ask for a newer hub, or even try for a special price deal.

Whatever you do, when Infinity is available to you , all you would do was Upgrade again.

if you want to upgrade your package give sales a call.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
BWP
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Very many thanks for your help. I have a choice of upgrade paths but can't find a contact phone number! Whatever it is if it's not free I'm not calling it though!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Sales is 0800 800 150 or you can try the online chat.

Online Chat;

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

toekneem

(EASBF)