cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
481 Views
Message 21 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact


@jac_95 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I think happens is that:

 

The pcp and the FTTC cabinet are connected. Inside both are patch panels.The pairs to/from the FTTC cabinet are pre-connected in FTTC cabinet and correspond to a VDSL port in the FTTC cabinet. So that when a customer orders FTTC broadband from a communication provider then the Openreach engineer is given the pairs to connect the E and D side terminations to.

 

However there is only a limited number of ports between the PCP and FTTC cabinets when it was initially installed, by the commissioning engineers.

 

Therefore if there are no ports left for the FTTC broadband service then they will either have to wait for a customer to downgrade to adsl or if there is enough demand add more ports for the FTTC broadband service.

 

Hope that is correct.

 

Cheers


If you watch this video it will explain how they do the setup when a customer orders FTTC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53NcsctuxV0

jac_95
Guru
Guru
472 Views
Message 22 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact

Cheers Ratty2012

 

Don't think I was that far off Smiley Very Happy

 

Just didn't mention that the engineer performs the jumper in side the pcp and not inside the FTTC cabinet.

 

Think I'm right in saying that once all the ports are gone inside the pcp to the FTTC cabinet then no end user connected to that pcp will be able to get FTTC broadband unless either a spare port become available or new ports are installed in the patch panel due to demand for FTTC broadband.

 

If this is right then this could be the reason why the OP can't get FTTC broadband as there are no spare ports left and there isn't much demand to install new ports.

 

Cheers


jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
464 Views
Message 23 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact

Snert,

 

This is very confusing !  If there are two adjacent cabinets as you said, then one is the FTTC and the other is the PCP. ALL telephone lines go to the PCP.  If you are unable to get infinity it's because there are no free ports left in the FTTC cabinet, as the other posters here have been saying.

 

For the engineer's statement to make sense there'd have to be both an old and a new PCP adjacent to one another and an FTTC cabinet in addition - that'd be three green boxes, not two.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
463 Views
Message 24 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact


@jac_95 wrote:

Cheers @Ratty2012

 

Don't think I was that far off Smiley Very Happy

 

Just didn't mention that the engineer performs the jumper in side the pcp and not inside the FTTC cabinet.

 

Think I'm right in saying that once all the ports are gone inside the pcp to the FTTC cabinet then no end user connected to that pcp will be able to get FTTC broadband unless either a spare port become available or new ports are installed in the patch panel due to demand for FTTC broadband.

 

If this is right then this could be the reason why the OP can't get FTTC broadband as there are no spare ports left and there isn't much demand to install new ports.

 

Cheers


You're welcome. I'm not sure what happens when there is not much demand, but in other places where I have seen demand then a new cabinet is installed rather than adding new ports.

0 Ratings
Icaras
Aspiring Expert
419 Views
Message 25 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact

Well I can set the record straight about the picture someone posted shelling two PCPs and a VDSL2 cabinet.

The cabinet in the middle will be empty. A lot of the time when a cabinet is a complete mess and needs replacing Openreach put the new cabinet in, divert all of the lines to it and leave the old cabinet in place. They do remove the wiring from inside the new cabinet but they often don't remove the cabinet itself.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
408 Views
Message 26 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact


@Icaras wrote:
Well I can set the record straight about the picture someone posted shelling two PCPs and a VDSL2 cabinet.

The cabinet in the middle will be empty. A lot of the time when a cabinet is a complete mess and needs replacing Openreach put the new cabinet in, divert all of the lines to it and leave the old cabinet in place. They do remove the wiring from inside the new cabinet but they often don't remove the cabinet itself.

You do mean the Old cabinet really.

0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
403 Views
Message 27 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact

I would imagine Openreach will look into the area, if there is 80 odd houses but like 220 ports I think they hold? They may not decided to Install a new cabinet unless there is houses in development or a large area planned for development would be thinking behind their decission to add/deny a new cabinet to offer FTTC to the remaining people.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
379 Views
Message 28 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact

Well, still battling with BT on this. I love how sometimes when I phone up they tell me that Infinity isn't available in my area despite my telling them that several houses around me have it.

 

So, having read through the comments on this, I believe that what the Openreach engineer told me was right in that I am simply connected to the wrong cab.

 

Ok, that I can believe. Does anyone know the physical number of phone lines that can be in a fibre enabled cab? How many lines can theoretically be serviced by a single cab?

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
371 Views
Message 29 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact


@snert wrote:

Well, still battling with BT on this. I love how sometimes when I phone up they tell me that Infinity isn't available in my area despite my telling them that several houses around me have it.

 

So, having read through the comments on this, I believe that what the Openreach engineer told me was right in that I am simply connected to the wrong cab.

 

Ok, that I can believe. Does anyone know the physical number of phone lines that can be in a fibre enabled cab? How many lines can theoretically be serviced by a single cab?


I think it says in this video how many: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53NcsctuxV0

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
355 Views
Message 30 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact


@snert wrote:

Ok, that I can believe. Does anyone know the physical number of phone lines that can be in a fibre enabled cab? How many lines can theoretically be serviced by a single cab?


288 lines in the huawei 288 (the bigest and most common in use)

 

depending on demand they may fit 2 fibre cabs to one pcp aparantly