cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trentmum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Infinity available but not ACTUALLY available?!

I have slow broadband speeds - around 1.5mb. I asked an Openreach engineer how I could increase my speeds. He looked on his PC and said that fibre was available to my Cabinet, and although it is a distance from my house - we are rural - he said Infinity would give us much better speeds. I checked our postcode on the BT website, and it said that Infinity was available at my postcode. So I phoned BT to sign up, but the operator told me that it shows on their website as 'No orders being taken'. He then went into the Openreach 'Where and When' page, which confirmed fibre was connected to the cabinet in question. He suggested I apply via the BT website, but all I got was 'not available in your area'. How do I get Infinity when the two sides can't agree if it's available or not? I definitely need it as our speeds are ridiculously slow and getting slower. Can anybody advise me please?
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Infinity available but not ACTUALLY available?!

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only line which will mean you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

"No orders being taken" could also mean that the cabinet is full.

0 Ratings
Trentmum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Thanks. Did that - it confirmed the cabinet the Openreach chap told me. Can't really understand all the figures though, although it does seem to show FTTC figures, so assume this means Fibre is there.
0 Ratings
Trentmum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

How do I find out? The chap at BT said that it might only have gone live recently and therefore wasn't showing up on the BT site, but the Openreach site was showing it as available. The BT man said to apply, and then keep reapplying via BT.com every two weeks. Can I find out for sure whether it is in the pipeline to be made available to my area? We are apparently excluded from the superfast broadband roll out, so I could just do with a better speed than I have got. Thanks for your reply, by the way.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Can you post the checker results including the notes please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Trentmum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

imjolly: These are the figures. Can you work anything out from this? Thanks!
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 13.6 8.1 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 10.4 5.3 1 0.5 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 1 Up to 0.5 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

You can see it says fibre available but because speed is <15mb BT will not sell infinity but will sell broadband with fibre. Speed between 13.6/5.3mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Trentmum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

That's really helpful, thanks. I will call them to ask to get broadband with fibre. I imagine, due to the distance involved and the use of ancient copper wire, we will get less than the quoted speeds, but anything should be better than we have now. We are unable to watch BBC iplayer or anything like that, the service is too slow. The area where my cabinet is, is an area that will be linked to the superfast broadband. Once the whole area there is connected, would that give us better speeds here on fibre? Is that how it works? I imagine the less demand on the fibre network, the better speeds for those remaining on it. Is that the case? Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

You are already connected to a fibre enabled cabinet but due to your distance from the cabinet you won't get any faster conenction

0 Ratings