cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david8
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Infinity available to all houses in street - but not me - how can I get a new line routed to me?

Hi,

I'm really hoping someone here can help. My property is one of the oldest in the street, and it seems my telephone line is routed in such a way I can't get infinity, when all my neighbours can (one neighbour is just a few feet away).

The only option I can see is to order a new telephone line connection - I'm happy to pay reasonable engoneer costs to do this, but the website won't allow me to order a new line at my address, because my address does not support infinity.

Someone at BT Openreach suggested I tried to get a new business line to my office which lies even closer to the neighbours property with infinity), but they won't guarentee I can get infinity either - saying the engineer will just connect you in the easiest way regardless of speed options - and I will be tied into a years contract whether or not I can get infinity.

I know I'm just one customer (I want the full package by the way BT - vision, infinity 2, the lot - and I'm willing to pay reasonable install costs) - I just need someone at BT to be able to work off-script to help me.

PLEASE!!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity available to all houses in street - but not me - how can I get a new line routed to me?

what you have been told is correct there would be no guarantee it could support Infinity It is down to Openreach how cables are routed not BT Retail your provider
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Re: Infinity available to all houses in street - but not me - how can I get a new line routed to me?

It is possible that your house is connected to a different DP (Distripution Point) to the newer ones and the DP on the newer houses is connected to a different PCP.

How is the line fed to your house, underground or pole and how is it fed on the newer houses?

david8
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Both are underground (although mine goes to a pole before going underground).

BT have told me in the past that it's my line at fault (therefore I would never be able to get infinity without a new line). But I've just had another reply which states:

"I am sorry to learn you are having trouble with ordering Infinity. I have taken a look at your thread and the info that you have provided and can see that you are being serviced by a different cab. Unfortunately as these are maintained by Openreach there is nothing we can do about this. You can request from Openreach that you are moved onto a different cab, but that would be totally seperate from BT retail, they would come out and survey the work and give you an invoice, it would be up to you then if you wished to take them up on the work.

You can contact Openreach to complete a survey for you at the following address,

http://www.openreach.co.uk/

Please let me know if you have any questions."

I have already been to Openreach - they quoted £199 just for a survey without ANY indication of the approximate cost to get a line from a different (and very close) cabinet (which feeds my neighbour). When I phoned to speak to someone to get an indication of price, they told me NOT to get a survey, as there was still no guarentee - instead I should order a new line...

If my CABINET is the reason (and NOT my line) then it may be worth holding out for the cabinet to be upgraded - but the FTTC check - http://fttc-check.alc.im - suggests all my cabinets are enabled.

Where do I go from here???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

All you can do is wait until the checker shows as able to order or pay out for the survey and any work if possible
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

'Both are underground (although mine goes to a pole before going underground).'

Yeah, I've come across that a fair few times, more common than you think.

'I have already been to Openreach - they quoted £199 just for a survey without ANY indication of the approximate cost to get a line from a different (and very close) cabinet (which feeds my neighbour). When I phoned to speak to someone to get an indication of price, they told me NOT to get a survey, as there was still no guarentee - instead I should order a new line...'

No, they wouldn't be able to give you an indication of how much it would be until a Survey Officer went out to check.

You could get lucky and the section of duct at the base of the pole might connet to the duct to where one of the UG DP's are for the newer houses.

Then again it might not, in which case it would require them digging a trench between the two and putting in new duct/cabling. This is when it would get expensive.

david8
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Plain View - that's really helpful to understand - thank you for your time.

I've also just had this response from a very helpful chap at BT:

"You are correct, the problem you are facing is that the distance to your cabinet is too far to provide the service. The line estimate that we have here is that you would receive a downstream 9mb speed and an upstream speed of 1mb, that is below the threshold that Openreach have set of a minimum estimate of 15mb before the service can be ordered.

The cabinet you are connected to is infiity ready, its just that your basically to far from it to receive a reliable speed/connection. The only option really if you would like to have Infinity is to have Openreach survey what work needs completed to have you switched onto another line/cabinet (if it is even possible).

The current cab you are connected to is Cab/PCP no. 40. The only other upgrade that could possibly be done would be to have Fibre laid directly from your home to the exchange (FTTP/ Fibre To The Premises), and I fear this is some time off yet.

Sorry for the bad news, and I hope this has helped clear a few things up for you. If you do have any thing else you would like to ask, please do let me know and I will do my best to help."

0 Ratings
Ndub
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Hi

I have a similar problem.

Please can you tell me how I contact someone in BT - all I get is telesales and I think I need someone in engineering

0 Ratings
david8
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

The best help I got, after 2 years of chasing - was from the contacting the 'mods' on this site - and from calling BT Business (say you want a business line - they get much more training and have much more information avaibale to them than residential sales.)

The link for the mods form on here is:

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

You have to start a new thread first.

Although Ive already posted the answer given - so I would suggest calling Bt Business first and see what they tell you about your line...

Best of Luck - if you get anywhere - let me know!

0 Ratings