cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garyw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Infinity broadband disconnects when phone rings, noisy line, frequent disconnects, slow speed

I have had FTTC fibre broadband for the past three years my connection (up until recently) had been stable at around 36mb down / 6mb up. For the past few months however - since around January 2017- my connection has been unstable. I have experienced frequent disconnects, intermittent crackle / noise on the line, router disconnecting and reconnecting when the phone rings, slower than usual download speed, and much slower than usual upload speed.

In that time I have done all the usual checks (I work in web/IT so I'm tech savvy), I have changed provider from Plusnet to BT, and I have had at least 4 BT engineer visits (I've lost count now). BT Engineers have confirmed the issue definitely doesn't reside inside the property, they said they had traced it to the underground cable (presumably between my house and the cabinet) and they did some work on that (I'm not sure what) and yet I'm still having problems. After the last engineer visit I thought it was finally fixed, I'm pretty sure they reset the DLM as my speed jumped to a very healthy 42/9 but three weeks on and the noise/crackle on the line is back, the broadband is disconnecting when the phone rings again, and my speed is down to 32mb down / 1.5mb up.

The weird thing is that the problem is sort of intermittent. So for example sometimes when I reset the router my sync speed, especially upload speed will increase dramatically, but sometimes not, and sometimes the router will disconnect when the phone rings but sometimes not, and sometimes there will be crackle on the line but sometimes not. And my sync speed - especially upload speed - is all over the place, sometimes as high as 9.2mb and sometimes as low as 0.6mb. 

I have raised several faults and had several engineer visits and I'm now tired of having to go through all the basic checks time and time again every time I go on online chat. I'm reaching the end of my tether. Please can someone advise how I can get the problem fixed once and for all.  Thanks

For the avoidance of any doubt I've done / tried all of the following -

Numerous quiet line tests, using wired handset in test socket

Numerous speed checks using BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test on laptop connect via Ethernet to port 4 on Homehub

Disconnected all devices that might unknowingly be using bandwidth

Had a new BT master socket fitted

Changed supplier from Plusnet to BT and as a result have changed modem/router (now using latest BT Homehub)

BT Engineer has confirmed internal wiring and phone/router setup is fine (all plugged directly into master socket)

External underground cable outside house has been checked by BT engineer (first visit actually made the problem worse such that I had no dial tone and massively reduced broadband speed but rectified on second visit)

- as such the problem in my opinion MUST lie somewhere in the twisted pair between the cabinet and my house.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Infinity broadband disconnects when phone rings, noisy line, frequent disconnects, slow speed

Have you had a plain telephony fault raised? Or always broadband?

If not, call 151 and mention only the noisy line.

Once that's resolved, the broadband issue will vanish.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
garyw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Re: Infinity broadband disconnects when phone rings, noisy line, frequent disconnects, slow speed

As an example of how peculiar this problem is. After last engineer visit an DLM reset (I think) my speed had been around 42/8 for a week or so then dropped to 41/3, then down to 36/1. Rebooted router and it jumped back up to 42/8. This happened again and again. Last reboot a couple of days ago and sync speed back up to a healthy 42/9.5. Today phone rings broadband disconnects, reconnects (while phone line still in use) at 36/0.6!! When phone call ends it disconnects and reconnects again at 36/2. Phone call was crackly and did a quiet line test which also revealed crackle/noise on line. Tried a manual reboot, no change to sync speed. But now two hours later I've noticed that the router reconnected again, about an hour ago and my sync speed is back up to 40/7.

I mean work that one out. What gives?

0 Ratings
garyw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

@Webby(sorry can't see a quote option on this forum)

Thanks for advice. Tried online fault reporting and it said no problems with the line. Then when I tried to book an appointment for an engineer visit the website failed and said there was a problem. Presumably if I phone 151 I can just get them to arrange an engineer visit?

As an aside I have to say - as someone who works in web - the BT website is a total mess. It's an unreliable piece of junk. Aside from the frequent technical faults it presents quite the most unintuitive customer journey I think I've ever seen on a commercial website.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Absolutely.

Advise them it's an intermittent noisy line, no mention of broadband.

Advised the problem persists in the test socket.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
garyw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Thanks Webby. Will do.

0 Ratings
garyw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Ok so I raised an intermittent noisy/crackly line fault with BT who sent an engineer today. I explained that the problem is intermittent and as Sod's law would have the line is fine at the moment. He did his checks and confirmed that the line is fine and therefore there was nothing he could do and he's going to refer it back as a broadband fault - whatever that means!

I'm at my wits end now, that must be the fifth or sixth engineer visit I've had, and I'm still no further on in diagnosing the problem. Do BT monitor this forum? I'm wondering if perhaps someone from BT might be able to refer this to the correct department to get it fixed once and for all because I'm not sure I can take yet another frustrating conversation with India!

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

If it is an intermittent line noise problem then you need to persist with that fault until fixed it is not a broadband fault
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 12

@garyw335 I'm sorry the problem with your line and broadband has not been sorted yet. Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
garyw335
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Thanks NeilO, message sent.
0 Ratings