Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Infinity delayed for my postcode YET AGAIN

Takes the p**s to be honest. 

First infinity was due to come to my exchange (Beaconsfield) in March 2011. Then this was put off to June or July 2011, then put off AGAIN to September 31 2011, now I check today and it's been put off AGAIN to December 31st 2011!!! Joke!!! But i'm not surprised, typical really....

What annoys or enrages me even more is the fact that, the postcode/location I live from my exchange is 5.1km away in actual line distance and is probably the furthest property served by the exchange itself. What's even more frustrating is I typed a phone number of a friend who lives nearer the exchange into BT infinity checker and they can get infinity now (and last week it wasn't even available with any date for them) and he can get 14 meg ADSL2+ anyway, whereas I can only get 2 meg on ADSL2+. 

Furthermore, house addresses/postcodes i've typed into BT infinity checker that are 5 minutes walk from me in the village, that are situated right by the recently installed FTTC cabinet, can sign up for BT infinity now, it's available to them, but the people in my road who struggle to get 1.5 meg are now having to wait till December 31st to sign up to infinity, when will BT end all this? 

Is it that hard to just get it done and finished and give the rural areas something they desperately need!?!? I know 2 people down my road who (if they were broadband-wise like me) could get around 2 meg but because their lines/isp's are poor, they get less than 0.5 meg half the time...

Please sort it asap so I can enjoy a decent broadband speed, not 1.8 meg! 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Infinity delayed for my postcode YET AGAIN

Mine changed a lot...

March 2011 moved to July 

In Mid June this year it was showing July 1st, then as that date got closer it changed to 22nd June and just before that date arrived it went back to Sept..... Groan I felt just like you!!!

But things can change for on 1 July the checkers were showing "Available"

You never know this big database (many others are reporting the same) change may be just an admin thing.

Keep an eye on the checker around the 1 Oct especially if your cab is installed and running.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 11

This happened to me after having called a couple of times to upgrade to the "super" infinity BT had been promising for so long. This time, after another "it will be available in three months" I asked to be taken to disconnections. They tried to say that Virgin would be more expensive (it blatently wouldn't, and would be 20x faster). I simply feel I have been lied to by BT for too long and despite the 30 quid fine for leaving them I look forward to saving money and having decent up and download speeds with cable.

Oh, and the same is now happening for my mum, my brother and two sisters. Bye bye BT. If you'd done Infinity when you first stated you would at my exchange we'd still be with you now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

@simpletron wrote:

This happened to me after having called a couple of times to upgrade to the "super" infinity BT had been promising for so long. This time, after another "it will be available in three months" I asked to be taken to disconnections. They tried to say that Virgin would be more expensive (it blatently wouldn't, and would be 20x faster). I simply feel I have been lied to by BT for too long and despite the 30 quid fine for leaving them I look forward to saving money and having decent up and download speeds with cable.

Oh, and the same is now happening for my mum, my brother and two sisters. Bye bye BT. If you'd done Infinity when you first stated you would at my exchange we'd still be with you now.

BT retail has no control over the availability of fibre optic broadband. It's Open Reach that is responsible for that. Whilst they are part of the same company they are run separately and independently. If you were to go to any other ISP for the same product you would get the same response regards availability. Regards Virgin from what I've read they have their own problems regards fulfilling their promises regards service levels and performance.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

I understand, but BT Retail still put up dates when Infinity would be enabled, then on those dates pushed them back three months. If they didn't know these dates they shouldn't have put them there.The wording BT put is "When you can get it", not "Estimated date of availibility". It seems like a ploy to keep customers at BT with the carrot of faster broadband that never arrives.

Of course no other ISP can provide the same service until fibre is available, which is why I didn't have much choice going to Virgin. I don't expect them to be perfect, but at least I should get the speed I need (and I will be saving around £9 a month for next 18 months).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

@simpletron wrote:

I understand, but BT Retail still put up dates when Infinity would be enabled, then on those dates pushed them back three months. If they didn't know these dates they shouldn't have put them there.The wording BT put is "When you can get it", not "Estimated date of availibility". It seems like a ploy to keep customers at BT with the carrot of faster broadband that never arrives.

Of course no other ISP can provide the same service until fibre is available, which is why I didn't have much choice going to Virgin. I don't expect them to be perfect, but at least I should get the speed I need (and I will be saving around £9 a month for next 18 months).

Yes but BT can only go by what Open Reach tell them. If Open Reach then change those dates it's not BT's fault. There are a lot of factors involved in enabling fibre optic broadband and it's not like normal ADSL. Personally I think you're being too harsh on BT. Fibre Optic broadband is relatively new and complicated to set up as well as costly. To be honest Virgin is probably no different then any other company when it comes to the way it presents information. It's customer service is no better and I see a lot of people complain about the performance of the service they get from them. In short the roll out of fibre optic broadband is relatively new and is going to go through teething problems.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

I understand mate what makes me laugh is my address is not even on the que list for fibre broadband. But what makes me mad is  6 miiles away they have bt infinity and virgin cable, its all around me. But the main thing is a other comapny  rutland telecom have enabled my exchange for fibre but bt wont enable the exchange for infinity. I think my address le159ru wont get infinity for years. also i pay the same money for normal adsl that people pay for infininty and dont even get a stable 3 or 4 meg, its shocking.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

This has been my experience as well (Withdean Ex, Brighton). Launch date has been changed 5 times now - each in increments of 3 months. Frustrating as bigger green boxes and planning applications keep popping up all around my area.

In the meantime, Virgin keep telling me my road is already set up for highspeed digital.

Does anybody know how to apply leverage here - apart from registering an interest on line?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Yeah my estimated availiblility of Infinity has been delay 4+ times - each with 3-4month increments. (latest is June 2012)

Weve had infinity boxes in the area on the Haslington (WMHAS) Exchange for approx 2years...

I complained to BT at Openreach hasnt got me anywhere 😞

They say that the box at the end of our street is going to cost quite a bit of money to finish upgrading... so I'll probably have a wait...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

I've been with Virgin for about eight months now. The difference in speed is indeed very noticeable, just as BT say their Infinity service is.

I did a quick check again just for fun and saw that the date has been pushed back again to March 2013! Infinity does indeed seem appropriate when calculating the number of days before fibre will really be enabled.

I was interested to read about the complaints upheld about BT and their published dates regarding when fibre should be enabled in different areas: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/09/bt_asa_rulling_over_fttc_product/ - seems to justify my gripe a few months ago. Now they have changed the text from "When you can get it" to "Earliest you could get it" so at least they are being more honest now.

0 Ratings