Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ndub
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Infinity direct from Exchange

Hi

My exchange Brundall EABRU has recently gone live on FTTC but I still cannot order Infinity.

I noticed in the Infinity FAQ that you sometimes cannot get Infinity if your line comes directly from the exchange and fear I fall into that category as my house is 400m from the exchange.

What if anything does BT plan to do to get Infinity or a high speed equivalent to properties fed direct from exchanges.

I saw a mention of something quicker than ADSL 2+ in one posting but can't find it.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinity direct from Exchange

At the moment Exchange Only (EO) lines can only support Adsl Broadband (ie ADSLMax which is upto 8mbps or ADSL2+ which is upto 20mb) unless your exchange is FTTP/H ready (Fibre to the Premises/Home)

Unfortunatly most EO lines are currently unable to have fibre broadband such as BT Infinity (FTTC Version) due to your line not connecting to a cabinet which would allow FTTC.

Also BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity.

The rollout of fibre broadband (FTTC or FTTP/H) is being planned, managed and done by Openreach for all communication provider/ISP. BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout and planning of fibre broadband.

Openreach plan to upgrade EO lines in the future to allow access to Fibre based broadband

Please bear in mind that in some cases it may not be possible to provide FTTC broadband in areas due to: 

• Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet - (Exchange Only Line [EO] )
• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.
• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

There are different stages to the development of the fibre infrastructure in the UK.
If you have an EO Line then currently you will not be able to have FTTC broadband as your line isn't connected to a cabinet. In these instances Openreach plan to connect some areas that have EO lines with either FTTP or other fibre technologies in the future.
This video explains more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p0qN5XHuI5Q
Also check the Openreach "Power of Fibre" website: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/the-power-of-fibre.aspx

You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database and BT Infinity website for upto date information as these are updated regularly.
The openreach When and Where website is: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (your communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Guru
Message 3 of 9

Where do you live, as I'm from the area(Lingwood) and I'm currently enabled.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Ndub
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thank you.

Do you know when (per the video) EO solutions - which seem to be a version of FTTP will be implemented?

The wholesale site says I may be able to get ADSL 2 + Annex M - which looks quicker than my current ADSL 2+. Where do I order Annex M please?

0 Ratings
Ndub
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Brundall

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

adsl2+Annexe M is business only product
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Chaoss
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

This is incorrect john, BT do NOT do Annex M, I've fought tooth and nail for that extra .4mbit up and spoken to AT LEAST 30 tech support agents, 3 managers and even private messaged both buisiness forum and consumer forum mods. They simply cannot do it which is sad as I'd get near the full 2.5mbit
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 9

@Chaoss wrote:
This is incorrect john, BT do NOT do Annex M, I've fought tooth and nail for that extra .4mbit up and spoken to AT LEAST 30 tech support agents, 3 managers and even private messaged both buisiness forum and consumer forum mods. They simply cannot do it which is sad as I'd get near the full 2.5mbit

Shame, where are you from? I was offered to try Annex M when my broadband was awful.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@chaoss I suggest you try a Google search this is just one link that shows the service is available to Business users
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4333-bt-launch-faster-upload-speeds-through-annex-m-on-21cn.html
0 Ratings