Firstly - sorry in advance for loooooong post.
So... had BT Infinity installed at end of March 14. Had been working reasonably well, until yesterday morning when it just suddenly disconnected and the HH5 had a flashing orange light (the occurrence of which isn't even referred to in the Support leaflet). It was working first thing, but went off about 0830.
After an hour of trying reboots, resets, master socket, connection to laptop with ethernet etc, eventually resorted to ringing BT India. Another 30 mins or so of the reset script to no avail. Despite my telling the advisor that I really didn't think it was the HH, and that I thought it was a problem outside of my property, I was told that HH5 was faulty and a new one would be sent to me. Sigh.
An hour later (about 1030), rang 150 and again got through to India (all roads lead to India, it seems), to ask if there were any engineers working in my area (Culloden exchange, Inverness-shire, IV2 7) as it seemed to me like I had been inadvertently disconnected at the exchange.
At least this guy was a bit more receptive to my suggestion that it was NOT the HH. He booked an engineer visit for Thursday afternoon (8th May), and said the engineer would start at the exchange and then work towards my property, and would ring me if s/he required access to my house.
About 1515 yesterday afternoon, internet suddenly came back on all by itself - which convinced me even more that problem was not to do with my HH5. HH5 light remained blue for the rest of the day, and all was still well at about 2330. Ironically, the speed was a lot better when it came back on too.
0640 this morning – orange flashing light of doom again 😞 I am out all day today so hopefully it will be sorted by this evening. But it seems pretty obvious that this is an external BT issue, maybe the line / cabinet is being worked on as they are connecting new customers or something?
Having Googled the orange flashing light (now that I'm at work with internet access!), I found a forum post where disconnection had been caused by a failed air-con unit at the exchange (!?). If any moderators are reading this, perhaps somebody could investigate and give me a straight answer.
I realise these things happen, but I really don’t appreciate being passed to India where they have no idea of my location, set up etc, and basically try to fob me off with some waffle about a faulty HH5 which I know not to be the case. All I want is a straight answer about the cause of the disconnection, and the problem fixed (permanently) asap. Isn't that what I pay for?
TIA for any mod help with this 🙂
Arrived home at about 1715 last night - internet was back on, and stayed on with no probs all evening. Caught up on GoT 🙂
0640 this morning (08/05) - got up, internet was off AGAIN 😞
Engineer hopefully investigating this afternoon; I'm at work (can't afford to sit at home all afternoon) but have left them a note and have put the Hub on the windowsill so they can see what it's doing... hopefully they will find whatever the problem is at the exchange / cabinet...
Well, of course btt the engineer arrived (back in May14), the hub was working perfectly. He ran a load of tests, got 'them' to remove the cap on my line, and it's all been pretty stable (albeit nowhere near 20Mbps, more like 9-10Mbps) since then.
Until...Monday 1st Sep, went off again late pm, briefly back on for about 40mins, then off again. Rang BT Tue morning, engineer came on Wed afternoon, replaced half of my internal cabling, still no service (phone line really noisy as well). He went to the cabinet, rang me back and was very apologetic - he had found a stretched wire/cable in the cabinet that was pretty much burnt through, presumably this is what had caused the earlier dropouts as well, when guys had been rummaging in the cabinet dislodging my very unstable connection!
Anyhoo, so service itself now back up and running - but still only at around 9-10Mbps. I've just been reading about DLM and my IP profile - is there a good chance that now my connection repaired, that DLM will kick in over the next couple of weeks and my speed will increase? The Openreach engineer said that it was likely that as my connection had been so rubbish, that the system had automatically reduced my speed to what my line could cope with, but that this should get better now (although he did imply that this would happen within 24 hours!) - I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks, but should I call BT (groan) to request they reset my DLM or increase my IP profile or something?
I'd also just like to say 'well done' to this particular guy for finding the real problem at last 🙂
TIA for any constructive help! Not quite sure what the point of that last post was... 😉
The engineer should have reset your DLM profile. It can take up to 2 weeks for it to happen automatically.
Ah! If only I'd known what DLM was at the time!
Although, I forgot to say, he was actually there to investigate a phone fault (as I'd mentioned the noisy line when I was calling about the Broadband - although the BB was my main concern!). It got booked as 2 separate faults; he did warn me that if he couldn't find anything wrong with the line then he couldn't look into the BB issue as that's not what he was there for, so chances are he wouldn't have been 'allowed' to reset the DLM.
Fortunately it was all connected (or not, as the case may be!).
Ah well, even 10Mbps is better than the 1Mbps we used to get pre-FTTC. As long as it's stable I'm content to wait a few weeks. I'll have to check it again at the end of Sep and see if it's changed (hey, maybe I'lll even notice it one evening...). We don't do any online gaming or anything - the most taxing thing it needs to cope with is Catchup TV so 10Mbps is perfectly adequate for that 🙂
Thanks for your input 🙂