Over the past week I have noticed some issues streaming HD content from a variety of sources e.g. twitch.tv, youtube. Today I decided to run a speed test and while my upload appears fine, my download isn't what I am expecting. I got the following results from the bt speedtester:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 24.67 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 16.83Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Using speedtest.net I am seeing this download speed fluctuate wildly even down to 15Mbps but never more than 25Mbps. I haven't had any problems until now and I have had the service for about 1 month now. At the weekend I was getting my usual 70+Mbps. What gives?
Down to below 10mbps now, just called tech support and they reckon there is a fault on my line. Awaiting the next level of support to contact me O.o
You can check for a fault by following these steps
1. Visit this link https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/secure/faults/tracking.do;jsessionid=2W59QB2TvDGLZST41KJS2T...
2. Make an account with your BT Account number, this is different to your forum account.
3. Once the account is created re-visit the link from instruction #1 and login
4. Now you want to click on "Check my line now"
5. You should see your telephone number in a box, make sure that box is ticked if not enter your number.
6. Click on "Check my line" once step 5 has been completed
7. Make sure the details are correct, select the most relavant problem to you. I find the most common is the top selection "I've removed all equipment...."
8. Finally, Click "Check my line" **MAKE SURE NO ONE IS USING THE PHONE** Once completed, post the results contact a mod if a fault is found.
@ryant704 I already did that before I called BT and no fault was found. According to tech support there is a fault, but I wonder whether this is just part of the script for when issues get escalated to the next support level. My connection has actually returned to normal in the past hour or so. This concerns me a little though because it leads me to believe my connection is getting severely choked during peak hours for some reason.