cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Infinity drops out with Acer Aspire One netbook

I have just had Infinity installed and 3 wireless connections on various lap tops have worked fine.

However, I had difficulty getting the Acer to connect initially and although it worked first thing this morning it now keeps dropping the connection.

I suspect it is because it is runninng Linux Lite and not a Windows system.

Can anyone confirm Linux Lite as the problem? (It is the machine my wife uses so very important to keep it working!)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity drops out with Acer Aspire One netbook

its more likely the hh3 is the problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

It may be a problem with the mixed mode encryption used by the home hub.

Look at the wireless help on my pages below,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 5

One possible reason is that you are using channels 12 or 13 and that the laptop does not like them.  I understand the US does not allow these channels so some hardware does not support them fully.

In any case, it may be worth checking channels and interference, eg using inSSIDer.  Not sure what the Linux equivalent is, there must be one, or test it out on another machine with Windows.  Also try setting the home hub to a fixed channel rather than auto: maybe the Acer doesn't like channel hopping?

Finally, under advanced wireless settings, try using a lower wireless interface type to see if it helps.  That may make the connections to other machines slower, however.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

just an fyi, there is inssider for linux, but it looks as if development has grount to a halt,find it here https://github.com/metageek-llc/inSSIDer-2-Cross-Platform/downloads  what i do,to see if a channel is crowded, is, open a terminal/console, su to root & issue the command, " iwlist scan" ( without quotes ) or "iwlist wlan0 scan"  ( that's a zero  not letter ) & just scroll through. then select channel as appropriate

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free your computer, use opensource
i'm a linux user & very happy about it
0 Ratings