cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mitosis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Infinity droputs

I am making this thread to try and find out why my DSL signal keeps dropping on my Bt openreach fibreoptic box. The white one with LAN/DSL/Power that connects to the Bt homehub. It happens around once a day randomly and has been ongoing for around a week now. At first i thought maybe the router downloaded firmware or something as since i had fibreoptic installed i have had no drops in signal or quality.

We are using the BT openreach socket with the built in filter. It has the DSL at the top and the landline slot at the bottom, as such we have no external filter on it.

Are there any statistics i can post to help diagnose my issue as it is getting rather unamusing to happen once a day. The time varies from 2pm, 5pm and 1am dropouts. It seems very random.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Mitosis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity droputs

Anyone had any bright ideas i can test out or any further information i can supply?

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 3 of 5

Unfortunately, the only way to get stats yourself that might help sort out what is going on is to use an unlocked modem (the white box).  You can often buy them quite cheap on eaby, or google to see about unlocking it yourself.

Its probably due to some random noise (REIN, see at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm ).  Unfortunately this can be really difficult to track down, even if you can identify exect times when it is happening.  It can be in your properly or outside.  A few years ago I had completely regular noise around 8:00am to 9:00am that forced low speeds on my ADSL.  Never managed to track it down and eventually it went away.

You might be able to get BT to monitor the line from their end (or to get Openreach to).  You can contact service in the normal way (I found them helpful but many people don't), or contact the mods at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 .  But be aware they take 3 working days to reply: sometimes more if busy.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Can you describe what the lights on the Openreach modem do when the connection drops?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Mitosis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

The white openreach box has three lights active : Power, DSL and Lan 1. When the DC occurs, the DSL goes off.

On the Bt homehub 3, the Power, broadband and wireless lights are active. When the dsl light on the openreach box begins flashing to reconect the broadband light on the hub goes off 30seconds then once the DSL light is solid green on the open reach box the broadband light starts to reconect and then goes solid again.

0 Ratings